Oak Pollen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Apr 29, 2002.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering how everyone is doing allergy wise? I have done real well untill today. I think the oak pollen is the culprit while mowing my own yard which is surrounded by mature oaks all $ell broke lose, scratchy eyes tons of snot and sneezing. Earlier this year I had my doctors to give me Flonase which has been great till today its like all of a sudden the flonase has failed. How do you all cope with allergies?

Lawnworker in virginia

2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I goto www.pollen.com and put in the zip code where I live to track the estimated pollen count.

Last year was worse for me than this year has been. 2 years ago, Allegra-D was the master drug, that stuff worked so well for me, it was scary how good it was. I would of paid $5 for a pill on the street. <G> HA!

Last year, NOTHING helped. Allegra-d, Allegra regular, Benadryl, Sudafed red pills, quick dissolve tabs, liquid or pill, uhm. Tylenol Cold & Sinus.. Nothing. I actually made up my own "concoction" of 1 antihistamine and 1 decongestant and I'd review the active MG's in each one compared to Claritin or Allegra, and then take a antihistamine or decongestant as needed.. Still didn't help all too great, and felt like I was dopey 1/2 the time.

So far this year, I've been doing well and I'm in the business now, so I've had far greater exposure and still doing ok. I'm back with the Allegra-D again, one every 10 to 12 hours without fail, I keep a spare in my pocket at all times and it's been working.

Last week on I think Wednesday, the Maple pollen was listed as the predominant pollen on www.pollen.com and that is my down-doer. Good god, I was a mess.. Then the maple went away and right now I think it's Oak, Ash and Birch, and I'm doing fine..

So far, so good.

GH

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Its been bad, running nose throat full of junk.There is even some weed that is making all of us sneeze. The dust to is bad, im chocking on it everyday.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Vitamin C chewable wafers with Acerola and Rose Hips, 500 mg size. I was in the same situation as every one else, nose always running, sneezing, coughing. My buddys wife is a health nut, she takes certian vitamins for ailments. She gave me a couple to try and it was like night and day. At first I was taking 4 or so a day, as needed. Now I only take 1 every night . Most people are not alergic to vitamin C and you can't over dose, your body will pass the extra with no problem. I haven't carried a hankerchiff in several years. I still sneeze or cough now and then when the pollen is high but thats all.

Give it a try, its a cheap cure if it works for you.

Gene