1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Oak Tree Help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwc, Sep 14, 2009.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone help me identify whats going on with this oak tree? As you can see in the pics, the tree is thinning and yellowing. The leaves that are still on the tree have small brown spots on them and you can see it in the pics of the leaves that have fell.

Any ideas?

tree.JPG

leaf1.JPG

leaf2.JPG

2. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Some type of Fungal leaf spot. Probably fungus Taphrina deformans You should take a sample to a local extension office for their opinion. I would recommend an application of high quality fertilizer.

3. integrityman

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Before I even look at the leaves or begin to diagnose, my first question is how long ago was that tiny, good for nuthin tree ring put in?

5. dwc

thats just a dirt ring around it just to keep the grass away from the trunk.

thanks integrity!

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I just always start with mechanical issues before I start to diagnose fungus etc.

If there is no ring cut into the ground that would have cut feeder roots recently then Integrity starts to look like he has it nailed.

Good luck

7. integrityman

Again, take a few samples in for your extension agent to look at. Seek their recommendations for treatment.

8. dwc

Nothing has disturbed the root zone. I will see if I can take some samples in and see what they think also but it looks like you have it narrowed down. Thanks for the help!

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a pin oak? They have a reputation for getting iron deficiency. Yellow leaves with green veins--brown spots. Common unless the soil is acid. An iron spray will help this situation a lot. Also if you acidify the soil or apply iron chelatee to the soil it will correct an iron deficiency. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2006/8-23/deficiency.html
    Actually leaves do not look like pin oak--try to identify the type of tree first. Red oak has a reputation for dying from oak wilt.
    http://www.anr.msu.edu/robertsd/oakwilt/

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Oak wilt has hit Wisco now and may very well do what it did 60 years ago. Does OK have that problem?