1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Oak Tree Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gregory, Apr 26, 2008.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have one of my bigger oaks in the yard about 75% of the leafs have turned brown but have not fallen from the tree..this is only one tree out of 10 in the yard that is doing this......any idea's ???

i will try to post a pic later....it almost looks like you sprayed it with round up all of the leafs are brown but still on the tree

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gregory

That is a bad sign, possible oak wilt. Pull on the brown leaves to see if they come off easy.

3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I don't suspect it was a late frost. Did it get hit by lightening? Maybe an insect infestation. See if you can pull of a layer of bark anywhere around the trunk.

4. gregory

not a frost problem ..its 90 down here......

ric yes the leaves fall off real easy you can just touch them and they fall off.....

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Karl:
    You probaby know that Live Oaks drop their leaves in the spring when the new growth actually pushes the old leaves off. The old leaves form a membrane between the tree twig and the leave itself cutting off the water and nutrients so new growth can occur. Cut a twig about the size of a straw. If the cambia is green and slick, the tree may just be a little slow in pushing off the old leaves. We have similiar stuff in SC, but there are very small buds showing. If the tree is dry and not slick around the woody part between the cambia, then the tree is dying.
    How big is the tree in height.
    Roy

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

I just got off the phone with Karl. I have advised him to Contact Steve Brown his County Extension Agent. I have a lot of respect for Steve and I am willing to travel the extra 50 miles for his seminars, because my own County Agent is a fool. From what Karl said, I have little hope for this tree.

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ric/Karl: Please post the findings here. I hate to see any tree die from unknow causes. Last year during the drought in TN. We saved all shower/bath water and waterd the trees with it. Everything this year is beautiful, although I've seen a lot of drought damage especially in the lawn in TN.
    Thanks and please follow up.
    Roy

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Any new plantings of shrubs or flowers near this tree ?

9. gregory

no there is nothing around this tree besides another bigger oak.....this oak is taller then my house and has a canopy about 30ft in dia its a good size tree it is more then 20years old...the tree was on this lot when i got the lot and built the house i have been here since 95

10. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

they have been waiting for oak wilt to rear its ugly head.
    We are getting more and more tree diseases
    this texas decline is killing here in s fla on dactilifera. Doesnt sound good. Hope it works out.
    KEEP US INFORMED ON WHAT HAPPENS.