Oak trees hit hard by Japanes Beatles Last year

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ztoro, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

At the end iof last year I had some Oak trees that got hit hard by the Japanese beatles... They seem to be hurting this year. This is there 3rd year and on there second year the leaves came in very thick... They are about 15-20 feet tall.

Can these trees recover from an episode with Beatles? I have put some of those nutrient spikes in the ground yesterday. I am just hoping they dont die.... I have about 5 of them and 3 of the 5 look not so good.... They are blooming but slower than the 2 healthier trees and not has full...

Thanks
    for the help

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I can't understand why an oak tree would be hurt by the beetles.They tend to just chew the crap out of the leaves.Makes them look bad,but otherwise,the plant should be ok.
    With that said,prepare to treat for them now.Right now they're in the grub stage,feeding on the grass roots.Once they form into beetles,you'll have a hell of battle on your hands.I've found acephate to work well on them.Milky spore is a long term management approach,as far as the grubs go.If the neighbors don't combat them as well,all is for nothing though.Good luck!

3. ztoro

They beatles did chew up the leaves to nothing.. I assumed that that alone caused the damaged.

What is this Acephate and where can I get it? How do you apply it? to the root system?

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Acephate is a chemical used in pesticides like Orthene.You can get it in powder form(as acephate) or liquid Orthene.Just go to your nearest farmers Co-Op.
    Acephate is used directly on the beetles and can be sprayed on the ground as well.Kills damn near everything,even fire ants.
    Milky spore is broadcast on the lawn and the grubs ingest it while they're feeding on grass roots.

5. thor

thor LawnSite Member

6. ztoro