1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

oaks

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by fl-landscapes, Feb 18, 2011.

1. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

well, the boating will have to wait another weekend. Here is my project, 27 B&B Live Oaks 3" caliper 11' tall. I'll be working my boxer and 36" auger pretty hard at sun up tommorrow.

live-oaks.jpg

2. fl-landscapes

Moved to florida hoping to boat more than MA but it never seems to work out that way. I did shoot out into the harbor yesterday with my boat, only because I hadnt run it in over two months and I wanted to burn some gas and get some fresh fuel in there. Anyway, this was the picture I took of a wooden schooner at fishermans village punta gorda yesterday. Flat calm water and a great day, too bad it was a twenty minute cruise to get fuel and back to the dock :(

fishermans-village.jpg

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fl Land

PICTURE OF A KETCH not a schooner.

Ketch has a taller mass in the front, A schooner has the taller mass in the Aft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schooner

4. fl-landscapes

Believe it or not when I posted that I said to myself "if thats not technically a schooner ric will point it out" I knew it had something to do with masts, but thats all I knew. Thanks for the correction. Oh and at least you got the "aft" we call the "front" the "bow":laugh:

5. fl-landscapes

oh, and I was talking about the ship in the background up on the building....did you think I meant the Ketch???:laugh:

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fl Land

I could have said the Foremast was taller on a Ketch than a Schooner. I also could have spelled Mast correctly. In either case a schooner or Ketch will have the Aft mast forward of the Rudder post. A Yawl will have a Mizzenmast aft of the Rudder post. The Ketch in your picture is rigged with a self tacking Jib and standard reefed sails. A more modern Ketch might be rigged with Roller Reefing.

Many years ago I was into sailing and did a lot of it. Today I would rather start a motor, it is a lot less trouble.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Nope Not a schooner either. That is a Frigate.

8. fl-landscapes

I know.......I was trying to be funny.

9. fl-landscapes

never really was into sailing myself, although I can see the pleasure in it. I have always been on the water, starting in 9th grade when I built a boat in my cellar out of marine plywood threw a small outboard on it and took it out to all the boston harbor islands for a summer. My grandfather and uncle were lobstermen and I have owned a boat continuosly since I built that boat in ninth grade. Mostly center console outboard fishing boats. The one I have now is a 22' center console with a f-150 four stroke yamaha I bought new about 3 years ago when I traded in my 17' center console.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hey

I am boat owner also. I have a 8 ft John boat and a set of Paddles. So don't think you are getting over.