1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Obituary: Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by south jerz, May 26, 2005.

1. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

Mr. Metro Exmark, 11 Months, of South Jersey, a workhorse 36" belt-driven mower and main provider for his family, died suddenly of unknown causes May 26, 2005 at 11:30 AM. He was beloved husband of Mrs. Exmark-Ransomes, 26, an ailing walk-behind mower, also survived by three half-brothers, HEZ2500s Redmax, BCZ2500s Redmax, and 7001 Redmax.

Mr. Exmark was born in Clemson, South Carolina on June 22, 2004. He was adopted soon after his birth by an LCO in South Jersey, where he lived happily for 11 months. He was said to be in nearly perfect health when he died, mowing 25 yards a week his first season and 65 yards a week his second. Mr. Exmark's doctors had given him his regular two-quart Esso 10W-30 oil transfusion just two weeks prior to his death, and even administered a half-quart dose during his last few breaths. He remained in undetermined condition for two hours until a coroner, giving him one last pull and finding his oil tank empty, pronounced him dead.

Once an autopsy is performed, coroners will determine if Exmark Mfg Life Insurance Co. can honor Mr. Exmark's one-year limited warranty.

Services will be held tomorrow and donations can be sent to his LCO, who may purchase a replacement 15hp Kohler engine in his memory.

OK so enough with that. Anyway, here is my problem: I changed the oil on my Exmark Metro 36 two weeks ago and I'm mowing wet grass today and the thing stalls out once, then pull cord is stuck. I check the oil and it is almost completely empty. I put in half a quart and try again but no luck.

I bring it to my local dealer, not having even started it after the half-quart addition, and he checks the mower and finds no oil at all in the tank, says the engine probably seized but will check it out to see if there was some kind of defect and they can honor the warranty. Does anyone know what may have happened? I didn't see any oil leakage at all on the lawn or anytime for that matter but the tank was bone-dry once I got to the dealer. For the record: my partner was witness that both oil changes were done properly and oil was added. There was no smoking at any time and cap was screwed back properly every time. Please help!
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you check oil at the beginning of the day?
  3. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

When did you change the oil? I mean, it sounds like you were going bi-weekly on your oil changes. You were mowing a lot of lawns to be changing your oil every other week, IMO. I change mine every 25 hours or even earlier than that if I'm bored. Changing oil continues to be the cheapest thing that you can do to a mower to extent its life. Just my .02

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Synthetic Oils saves you time and equipment
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It soundslike maybe you were a victim of what I call "secret smoke"..

I've had automotive engines that would do this: Produce only a slight haze type smoke, that wasn't really too visible during the daytime, but at night, with someone driving behind you, the smoke is visible..

Either way, the oil didn't just " dissapear " it went somewhere. Find the leak, or find the cause of the smoking..

But after only 11 months, I'd be pushing for warranty.. And from now on, go synthetic...
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I third synthetic. I change the oil every 100 hours in the Z with synthetic oil...
  7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

My prediction - bad bottom seal/bearing. You won't see any evidence of leakage (unless you look under the deck at the shaft). It will only leak when you use it. Thus, there are no oil puddles/stains that are easily visable. What kind of engine was it?
  8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You have to close the drain plug after you change the oil. :rolleyes:
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok, I went through something like this on an 18 kohler, but checked my oil before I ran it.
    I would HIGHLY suspect that it is the oil/dust seal where the shaft comes through the oil pan.

when you fill the engine up with oil, and it is cold, you don't really notice anything or see any leakage on the the garage floor because it is not very viscous, or PRESSURIZED. But, when you've been mowing with it for a while, the oil becomes more viscous, and the spinning motion of the pully and the clutch throw the oil to the sides so you don't see it in a pool until it's too late on a large property. even if it is a small leak or crack in the oil/dust seal, when you get moving, and the oil heats up, you'd be suprised at how much oil can drain from it.
  10. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe this is on the picky side, but shouldnt the obituary be for Mr. Kohler instead of Mr. Exmark???