Obtaining Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Total.Lawn.Care, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, for a new guy in the business that wants to start putting Commercial Accounts on their customer list, how should I go about introducing my myself and my business and to them in an attractive manner?

I thought about putting a nice Color Presentation Together in those clear report binders (2.39 for 6 at Staples) and include a Cover Page, Page of Services, Pictures of Residential Jobs that I have done, and Certificate of Insurance and Business Card. Takign this into the business and asking them to please keep me in Mind the next time they have their Lawn Care and Land Scaping Bid on.

Has anyone else dones this and how well did it work? Any other ideas? Please let me know. What did some of you do?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck!

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

going after commercial accounts is crucial for busn. survival. Residential customers can get you started but commercial is where the $$$ is at. It sounds like you have the right idea but instead of meeting with them in person, when I started going after commercial accounts I put together a small packet , flyer, busn. card, description of services offered, and company profile ( employees, equipment, ect. ) and sent it to all busn. in the area every quarter. Within 3yr of doing so (to everyones suprise )I managed to gain more commercial accounts than any one else in the area.

4. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

Effingham is effing great!!! Sorry , just hear it all the time on Bob and Tom.:hammerhead:

5. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I drove by a bank the other day they we're still putting it together it use to be another bank and the property has not been touched for a couple weeks so threw in some cards in the mail slot now I do 3 branches

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What do Bob & Tom know about Effingham???:laugh:
    All I know is an old lady owned most of the town and we stopped at the Ramada Inn on our way home one day and went to dinner (in the Hotel) and the girl at the front desk said that the lady did not like jeans in her restaurant. I forget the Lady's name. That was 10 years ago and now most of the hotel and restaurant was gone last time I drove by:)
    As per your question-- What do you consider commercial-- Mom and Pop video store-- HOA's-- Office complex-- Industrial Park-- Each has a different approach-- what are you after?

7. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

I think the best advice I was given was to pick and choose your accts., I know its hard at first but you will thank yourself in the end. Do whatever you can to get your name in front of them. Call them send them brochures, cards portfolios, whatever you have to get their attention do it if they look like an account you would like. Remember,...............JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Total.Lawn.Care

I am after Restaurants, Appartment complexes, Banks, Hotels, things like that. Doctors offices. I want high paying ($75-$150) per visit weekly accounts that are willing to do contracts so that I can maintain income through the winter adn still have work to do. Around here, the Landscape guys work all through the winter, they just might not be mowing (at least on the commercial jobs).

Thanks for the advice and keep more comming. Cornwell, that is kinda the approach that I was looking at taking. Has anyone gotten the Commercial Operations Manual or the Complete Lawn Kit information from the Estimating, Flyers, Proposals, Contracts, Letters forum section. I was just wondering if there was anything really worth while in it to stimulate more ideas for Commercial accounts. I want to grow, not to fast, but at a steady rate so that I can plan a time to leave my JOB!!!

Effingham - that is the city where you guys are and that is the name of the county that I live in. It is great.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

75-150 a week is still a small account.
    and should be priced the same as any house.

The terms residential and commercial are used a lot in this site and yet very few know why. You time is your time-- grass is grass-- mowing is mowing. and profit is still profit.
    The real difference is something that most LCO do not know about-- and it's the most important part of this (and any other) business, SELLING.
    Success in this business has little to do with rain- cold- grass- stripes- or fertilizer. And has a lot to do with meeting customers expectations. Both actual and created.
    A home owner wants pride of ownership and as much free time as possible.
    A commercial property is there for one purpose-- to create income and profit. As salesperson you need to find the degree of these in any customer and create a plan that answers those needs. Will a customer pay top dollar in a restaurant if he has to walk through 2' weeds to get to the front door. Sell the fact that total presentation starts outside the building. What does the lawyer's office need to instill confidence-- Does the Doctor care. Each has difference needs, find that out,
    An HOA that has nice grounds brings up the property value of all the homes and can create or dissolve millions in value- sell this fact
    And yet at the corner gas station, people may never look at the grass.
    Ask this question of any property owner--- "Do you like cutting grass?"--
    HECK NO-- so why do you think they will pay top dollar to get it done???They just want to get an ugly task done as cheap as possible-
    So what do they value? and how can you provide that-- Free time, Family time, Happy customers, Quicker home sales for more money, Faster and higher rentals, Customers with higher expectations of top quality service because of top quality surroundings.
    Find out what YOUR customer wants from his customer and how you can help him give it and get it, Become a partner in his business and do it in as easy of a way for him (yearly total maintenance that he never has to think about) SELL that answer to him!

10. Total.Lawn.Care

PMLawn,

You make some good points. I had another sleepless night last night (like many since being back from Iraq) and I started putting together a Handout Presentation for trying to attract Commercial Clients. I have a cover page, a page that talks about my business (kinda how we got started and what we value) with an invitation line for us to meet and discuss their needs, gonna put in a page that lists all of my services. A page of pictures or properties that I maintain, and a copy of Bus License and Insurance certificate so that they know I am a ligitamate business. I put them in the clear report folders that you get at like Office Depot for $2 for 6 or so. Once I get it complete, I will probably print them from a Color Laser Printer on Photo quality paper (or a little less, but glossy) so that the pictures will really look nice and give the appearance of the quality of work that I do. My thinking is, if they see quality in my presentation, they will assume that I took pride in it and will take pride in my work with good quality as well.