1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Obtaining Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by launboy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Those of you who have commercials; have you sent letters to the buisness explaining your services and what you can offer? Another question: who do you send the letter, whos name or title do you put above the address of where it is going? Any help would be appreciated
  2. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:cool2: I call businesses and ask for the person in charge of grounds maint.
    and ask if they are or will be accepting bids.unfortunatley it is like finding a
    needle in a haystack.
  3. launboy

from indiana

but what about big food chains where usually the only person on duty(in charge) is only capable of making french fries. do you go to the district offices or something?
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Almost all commericial accounts are set up different. Some have companies in charge of maint including mowing etc. So you go to the management company. Small business like resturants usually have a general manager that you submit the bid to. We have found that you got to know somebody usually. We got one account when we offerered this guy a tow on the lake and it turned out he owned a resturant. TG simply puts in bids to every business they can find!!
  5. launboy

from indiana

anybody else
  6. utterway landscaper

utterway landscaper LawnSite Member

I take usally take a few days every season and and drive around to the different businesses and introduce myself tell them about my company and ask if there taking new bids people seem to like this and I seem to have better success than just calling and leaving my name, bring pictures from other lawn accounts they like to see results also
  7. bingermann

bingermann LawnSite Member

Utterway has got it. Getting in front of your potential customer is key. If they can put a face and personality to your bid you stand a better chance at getting the work. Even if they don't respond in a timely manner, you should go back in and just say hello and make sure everything is going well for them. I have won more bids just by being polite and consistent. They quickly realize that you are someone who cares about their situation before you even work for them. I've won many lawn maint. jobs and snow removal contracts just by being consistent, and working for a business is often times much easier then working for a picky homeowner. Remember commercial business often want to see if your insured before they cut you a check so work it all out with them ahead of time.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Contact with Real Estate people, leasing agents, management co. facility management. They will hold the key to most of the bigger properties.
    smaller mom and pop stores will be handled by the owner. Your job is to find out who that is.
    Most gas stations will have a sign on the building that states "Owned and operated by *****".
    Takes time to build up the network that you need but it is worth it if you put in the time.

Remember that it is a different buyer on these properties. A homeowner wants the WOW factor and a great looking property-- The business man wants the most profit from his investment. Its a different sales approach.

A lot of the people on this site will say that commerical will go with the lowest bidder. That is not true and those that say it do not understand selling. A commerical property owner wants to know how working with you can build his bottom line. That is what you need to figure out and then learn how to sell that. You have to be a value to him.