Obvious Missing Items

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnspecialties, Apr 5, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Why is it that almost all zero-turn mowers (including Hustler's) are missing two obvious things?

1: I can buy any rider from Lowe's or Home Depot and have fairly decent headlights. To get them on a zero-turn, it's an option and looks like some cheap add-on.

2: 99% of all commercial mowers generally are transported from job to job on some type of trailer or other vehicle. Yet there are basically no dedicated places on these machines to securely strap the machine down for transporting. Especially from the four corners.

I love my Hustler and wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm certainly not picking on Hustler because this is an industry wide problem. Seems almost rediculous a mower anywhere from $5000 - $13,000 doesn't come with these BASIC things. Thanks.

P.S. If Hustler decides to start doing these two things, I promise not to sue for stealing my idea.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

Grasshopper mowers are option also but are recessed into the machine and looks like they belong there just like headlights on a car.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent points.

Headlights are great for working near roadsides as well. Improves your visibility to others during the day.

For me, I've always layed four 5' 2x4's across the deck of the trailer.....One in front of and behind each tire. Pull the mower on the trailer and the mower settles into the nooks. Then I simply throw a heavy rachet strap across where your feet are. Crank it down and they never move....can't really.

4. Seeg

Seeg LawnSite Member

I would think putting dedicated tow hooks would increse the liability on the Hustlers or any other builder. Imagine someone getting in an accidenting, tie down breaks off and the mower goes rolloing off into another car, or flipping over the side of the trailer. Big time lawsuit there. With no designated tie down spot, then it could easily be explained by the mower wasn't secured properly by the user.

Lights would be awesome, I sometimes get home from work right around dusk, and would like to get the mowing done then instead of wasting time on the weekend. Lights integrated into the front of the fuel tanks would be awesome, out tof the way yet effective. I agree that the light kit availible is kind of cheap looking, and they get in the way.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Pj, these are for you, my friend.

If Grasshopper makes them like wushaw says, why not Hustler? Why not all ztr manufacturers? I don't understand.

TLS appears to have a good system there. But why should we have to lay boards down to hold our $9000 mower? Once again, I don't understand.

By all means, this is not meant as a gripe session. I almost wish you could tell me a great reason these things haven't been the "norm" with ztr's that I just haven't thought of yet. Thanks for any input and I await your reply. :dizzy:

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You all have some good points and our product manager and many other back at the factory read this forum daily, they are listening.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Is a light kit for the Super Z available :confused: On a Super Z with a 27hp Kohler, how many amps are there in reserve to play with for lights?

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

its call prolockers. Get a set and you will never go back to tie downs again.

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We do not recommend the light kit on the Super Z due to the additional amp draw it would cause.
    I am told (many times) that there is not enough amperage to run the light kit safely.

Pj

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

What type and wattage bulbs does the Hustler kit use? Would you happen to have any pictures?

Is there anything in reserve at all on a Super Z? Even if there is no room at all, I have another way to solve that ;)