1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OCDC for Hustler 48" wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yourlawnguy, Jul 8, 2003.

1. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I can't seem to find one for this mower, Qwikchute only fits the ZTR's according to my dealer and it looks like it's the same deal with other brands. I do not have a welding torch nor would I know how to use it if I did. Can anyone help me?
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If You had an Exmark You could get an EZCHUTE.com
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm just starting to design one for the 48. I've got a new account that demands I keep the grass out of the parking lot. Probably will be a few weeks, though.
  4. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Thanks John, that was very helpfull. :)
    Pete, let me know when you've got it, if I haven't found anything else by then maybe I'll have you build me one. Oh BTW the mulch kit works pretty good with Gator blades. It's not as good as my Exmark but the results are acceptable, I think I need just a little more blade tip speed.
  5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if this is of much help to you. However, this is my experience concerning the Qwikchute and the factory baffle plate.
    I ran the factory baffle plate for mulching on my Hustler Z. All was good, but I wanted the Qwikchute for the versatility it offers.
    I took off the factory fold up chute deflectors??The part I normally bungee into to the up position, on both my Hustler Z and my 37" walkbehind. They are both the same item. I took off the baffle plate to install the Qwikchute and found that the factory baffle plate from the Z will fit my Hustler walkbehind without modifications. I have not checked the parts numbers to see if the baffle plate from the Z and the walkbehind are the same, as it will fit and you will have to drill bolt holes in both of the machines decks to make the factory plate fit.
    That tells me that the 52" Hustler Z's mower deck discharge chute and the 37" Hustler Walkbehind's mower deck discharge chute have the same dimensions.....I'd be willing to bet they are the same for most of the other Hustler mower decks. Qwikchute will probably fit. I thought about using it but changed my mind because of the clearance problem the control lever would present, potentially getting in the way [it would be near center of the walkbehind deck], it could snag or hang up on bushes, tree limbs, etc.
    This Winter, when I'm bored, I might try to see if it will fit. At any rate, the control lever as it is configured on Z would need to be modified to be convient to use on a walkbehind.

My 2 cents worth.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A friend has the 48" Hustler and found the blades were slow, so he changed the pulleys around a bit... found his speed was now I think he said 18,000 feet per minute. I can ask him what size pulleys he put on if you're interested just email or PM me.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Use a 3/8" ratchet drive knuckle joint welded to 1/2" dia. rod with a handle bent in the end.

8. And how did he go about measuring this?
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

He said a friend of his is a math wiz and figured this up for him, I don't know if he told him engine RPM, pulley and blade sizes or if they just went from the factory spec number and then with the pulley change. Thats just what he said his friend came up with :confused:
  10. I dunno, I alway wondered how they figured this up.