OCDC for Hustler wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Sep 2, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I've got a Hustler 48in walkbehind that currently has a mulch kit on it. It works well, but I've been getting accounts latley that I'm having to push longer than I like and the mulch kit sometimes slows me down. I was wondering if I would be better off with an OCDC, if anyone makes them for the wb. I would still need to "mulch" in certain areas I mow, and I also like to mulch leaves. Would the cut with the ocdc closed be anywhere near the mulch kit? Thanks.
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The OCDC is better, I have one on my Super Z. They do not work like a mulch kit. They are only used for short bursts to keep grass off drives and beds. If left closed it will pack up and clump. I do 95% side discharge and 5% mulch with the OCDC. It was the best time saving device I have ever purchased, next to the Super Z.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody makes an ocdc for the hustler walkbehinds. I spent alot of time trying to find a company that would make one. No takers. They all said "mabey someday" So we will have to make our aown. I thnk I am going to use the factory chute and modify it to go completly closed. Not sure yet about linkage to control it.
    Good luck.
  4. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone every considered using their hydro's as a way to open and close the ocdc? I have an ocdc i made, but I haven't yet hooked up a linkage to control it. It is all out foot operated and a real pain!! I was wondering if anyone has considered tapping into one of the hydro lines and using that as a way to open and close. It'd be tough to do, but really sweet!!!
  5. PaulJ

Here'swhat I made out of the factory chute. Some bending and cutting andit does the job. NO remote controls yet just flip it up or down with my foot. I can hang the catcher on the side with the chute up. I might come up with a cabvle control this winter.

Sorry the pics are'nt better.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Looking at Paul pic. our OCDC should work fine on those mowers.
  8. PaulJ

But will it be in the way if a grass catcher is needed? As much as i would like not to. Istill have to bagg some of the time and need to be able to switch to and from bagging instantly. I don't think I am the only one.

Also on the one I built the front and back of the plate curvback to help funnle clippings some when partially open, (more like the original chute) and prevent some of the blowout when closed.