ocdc for jd ztr 757, which is the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigshow825, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bigshow825

bigshow825 LawnSite Member

am looking to buy a bladblocker or qwik chute for my jd 757, anybody have any suggestions as to which is the better, i don't want one that is elec, just manual, thanks for any input,
  2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

So why not a powered unit?
  3. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I am also considering getting one for my 757. I will probably end up getting the power chute. It looks like it is well built and the price seems reasonable. If you were looking for an electric one, that is the one that I would buy.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a JD d717A, 48" deck. I don't know how much different the deck discharge opening is on the 757.

I built a simple chute blocker out of a piece of scrap 2X6, one bolt through an existing hole on top of the deck opening. To prevent debris erosion on the wood, I lined it with metal from tin cans (e.g. large can of tomatoes). The metal is held in place with sheet metal screws. [I know, this sounds pretty goofy, but it is a simple, quick, and cheap solution!]

I don't care about a manual or powered chute blocker, just that I can use it periodically for mulching leaves. It takes less than 30 seconds to mount, or dismount. I find the areas with heaviest leaf burden, make some racetrack passes, clockwise, outside toward inside. Then I return after the blocker is off and scatter the leaf debris.

I tried it with the OEM blades, but that did not work at all. The blowout in front and right side was too much. This season, I bought a set of Gator blades and the procedure works pretty well. The lift and discharge force from the Gator blades is less, so the blowout is less. Oh yes, it is a dirty, dusty ride for a few minutes, but the mulching operation really takes care of the leaves. The few that might squirt out on the right side, and any rows of debris are easily scattered on the second pass. I never intend to make the pass with the blocker in place as the final pass, only a preliminary one.

I expect I would save a bit of time with a manual control chute blocker. But, I fear I would have to take off the chute deflector. I don't want to do that because I use the deflector in various positions. I have a chain running to a bolt at the outside edge of deflector, with a hook at the frame end. During transport, I need to hold the deflector in the "up" position, so this allows easy "up" and "down" during turf mowing. But, I have also discovered that when moving leaves toward one direction with the chute open, there are "good," "better," and "best" positions of the deflector. The chain links allow me to easily adjust the position of the deflector. Most of the time I run it in the "near down" position, but sometimes it is best to run it a bit higher. I never run it in the fully "up" position -- that position sprays the discharge force too much.

P.S. If I could find somebody to fabricate a blocker from a metal plate, one that bolts on with one bolt, I would do that. I have yet to find a shop to do this task.
  5. bigshow825

bigshow825 LawnSite Member

dont want a elec because i would be afraid the wires mite get hung up and i wear a 15 size boot so my big feet would be an issue to. ther was a tread here while back were somebody said there;s got hung up several times. and also just seems more simple to install,
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have size 16 shoes and use one on my 797 Z-Trak with no problems in five years.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Get smaller boots.

Oh, and get the Power Chute Design.