OCDC for WB "Grass Handler"??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 13, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I know OCDC's for walk behind mowers has been discussed here some, but I wanted to try to get some more discussion going on them since we have alot of new members.

Just saw an add in the new Turf magazine for a product made by W.E. Chapps called The Grass Handler. I went to thier site to try to get more info, but it wasn't even listed.

Is this new? I tried a search here but nothing under "Grass Handler".

From what little I can see in the ad, it looks like it slides forward and backward as opposed to lifting up and down. Seems to me that up and down would be better because you have control over how far the clippings will shoot. The sliding action only limits how much can come out by the size of the opening. You might have a smaller opening but the clippings will still shoot straight out and just as far, wouldn't they?
    I would have posted this in the W.E. Chapps forum here, but they have that terrible music on there that causes my PC to lock up sometimes.

And what's up with that York Sheet Metal??? I have e-mailed them twice about making OCDC's for WB's, and they don't reply! I've read posts by others here that said the same thing! What kind of way is that to do business? Just send a reply saying "sorry, we don't make them".

I know some guys have made thier own, but I'm not as much of a do-it-yourselfer as I'd like to be. Maybe if I had a couple good pictures to look at so I could copy the design, but no luck so far.

Anybody know any good welders/fabricators that might be interested in producing something like this for the industry?

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a good idea. I removed my discharge chute from my Metro WB last week, all it was good for was scratching the paint and breaking low branches off pine trees. The two mounting holes for the discharge chute are available for some type of OCDC attachment.

So long as you aren't required to disengage the blades to close the discharge hole. I would just want it closed, not a partial thing. Just for those Blvd areas along busy roads or parking lots, basically 4 or 5 times a week.

I think Bushhogboy could corner the market on this type of thing.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Bushhogboy, I e-mailed you.

I'm surprised nobody else had anything to say on this. Am I the only one who sees a need for an OCDC for a WB? Are you guys doing something differently then me?

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also e-mailed York a couple of weeks ago about a "Director" unit for w/b's and recieved no response. I definately see a need for this.

5. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I don't have a walk behind, but I sure would like to have one on my 48" lazer. Its not made for anything less than a 52" for a Lazer because of the deck mounting system they have set up.

6. York sheet did not reply because Exmark owns the rights to sell them.

Look on Exmarks site for all the york stuff.

7. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

can you give me the link that shows the director on the exmark website?

8. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

i know im missing somethign here but what does ocdc stand for

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

BLL, it's Operator Controlled Discharge Chute.

10. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

ooook and what doe sit do?
    :D