OCDC, Home Made, Works Great!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad made me an OCDC for my new 997 side discharge mower, not as fancy as a bought one, but very effective as a starting point.

It bolts on using original holes in deck, the flap is manually set using a spring tensioned lever into pre cut slots.

yes, with a handle would be faster, but that can be added later, least now I can vary the discharge, and close it so I can work around people, cars etc, so in other words, I have now replaced the rear discharge deck!

The pics don't show the detail, but this is built so clever, works great!:drinkup:

2. Tonyr

3. Tonyr

4. Tonyr

see the ring clip, there is one at each end, 2 secs to take the OCDC off!

not a good shot, but see the little spring tensioned lever to control the angle, neat!

5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Tony, all you need for a handle is a hook "EYE" and a peice of 1/4" or 3/8" rod and make a hook at one end and put it through the "eye" and close it up, might not be attrative but sure a hell of a lot cheaper than getting one shipped from over here

Side discharge still doin ya ok?? sure wish winter was over and summer was here, im ready to start cuttin grass
  6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good. Mind if I steal it?
  7. Tonyr

thanks guys, I'm pretty proud of it, my old man guessed most of it, he doesn't live local, only had a digi pic to figure it out on, then some fine tuning today, pretty bloody clever!

it is quite a complex thing,yet, it can be removed by those 2 ring clips, and 2 bolts hold the bracket on, for the work I do, I don't need a handle, maybe later, but as said, adding one to this will be easy, but I don't need it, it isn't for garden beds etc, but to allow me to not discharge into anything on estate work etc. a windrow in these rough areas is ok.

I am really liking the 997 side discharge, no probs at all with it, very nice cut.

bloody blades are huge! very wide, very high sail, wow, they really move some grass! And quite small clippings too, weird, but I'm very happy with it.

Yes, the blades for the side discharge are different than the rear discharge, dunno why, but I think I'll buy a set of the lower sail, thicker, narrower rear discharge blades, lots cheaper!

can't wait to throw a set of raptors on it, reckon it will impress me!

the side discharge model is a lot simpler than the rear discharge model, both have their place, I consider myself lucky to of had the chance to do 200 hours on the RD unit and get to exchange it for a new SD unit, can't be any fairer than that....thanks to a great dealer!
  8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

and Imagination. I can't do stuff like that. Looks good. The only 2 things I see that I would improve on your Dad's design is the small spring, I'd get one bigger and the mounting bolts to the deck. I'd for sure go larger on those.

For the cost you cannot beat it...good luck.
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Tell your dad I said he did a nice job,he even saved you some money.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Tony-I agree with Kenny.Get ya a stiffer spring for that closure control. Nice job on the fab work, though. Glad to hear the new mower is workin' out. Did ya take your dealer and his mrs. out for a nice dinner?:p