ocdc or mulch kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bone1, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

guys, would you get a mulch kit or the ocdc? it's for a toro ztr and a toro wb. thanks for any input.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i see alot of guys here in florida have the ocdc, myself i have just the block off plate on my scag turf tiger, but lately its been off since the grass is growing so fast. there are times i put the plate back on for certain lawns, and i always say i will get one, an ocdc one of these days! much easier!

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I had an Qwikchute on my Super Z when I got it. I was just about to order one for the Lazer. I just happened to be on a short break up in Virginia in Feb 2004, and stopped in a mower shop in Lynchburg. I asked if they had the mulch kit in stock, and they did. I figured I would try it and take it off in May when the grass really started growing.

I never took it off. For lawns with a lot of landscaping, I don't know how I got by without it. On large, open bahia lawns, discharging still works best from June until September.

4. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

is it o'k to mulch every season or will it need to be taking off?

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have never taken mine off. Most of what I cut is St. Augustine, but I do cut some smaller bahia lawns with it. While you have to mow a little slower, not having to avoid spraying the beds down and re-mowing to disperse the clippings makes it faster for me. If you are mowing big, wide-open stuff with little landscaping to worry about, the ocdc would probably be your best bet.

Put it this way. It was a $200 experiment for me that worked out. If it had not, it was not like a huge loss. The Exmark Ultracut with the mulch kit may work better than others. I have a mulch kit for the Super Z too, but I have never put it on. I have my doubts about it doing as well as the Lazer while mulching.

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a mulching kit on an Exmark 60" Lazer and a 48" TTHP. The other Lazer has an Ultra Vac on it but it comes off in about 30 seconds for side discharging. The mulching kits work great on my machines and yards. They stay on all year long.

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Put a mulch kit on one and the OCD on the other.

8. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

thanks for the ideas and help guys!