OCDC, Power chute?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinginva, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

We're thinking about putting a power chute on our 60" Dixie Chopper. Wanted to find out how well they work when grass is thick or wet. Does the grass clump? Do a certain kind of blades work better with the power chute? I would appreciate your thoughts.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They're not mulching plates.

They're designed to stop the spray of grass from coming out of your discharge area.

Any grass you mow is going to collect at the plate, when you raise it, it will either disperse or stay put in a clump.

I could not mow w/o an OCDC.

Whats wrong with the one that came w/ your DC?

3. mowinginva

Hey, thanks for your response. We bought the mower used, and it didn't have one with it. I understand it's not a mulching plate, just wondering how well it's going to do. Even if the grass clumps a little, It' s still better than throwing it all over the flower beds.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I thought only the cheapie DC's didn't come with one. Was it removed by the previous owner?

The OEM DC OCDC's were pretty bullet proof and designed to fit their deck.

5. mowinginva

I'm assuming it was removed by the previous owner. It's an older Dixie, maybe a late '90s. Power chute makes one exactly for a 60" Dixie. It's electric, and you can get it with a foot pedal which seems to be a nice option.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a PCD OCDC. They're very nice.

7. mowinginva

Great, thanks for your input. We're thinking very seriously of going that way.