OCDC use question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Apr 15, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

When you have the OCDC closed, do you get a trail of grass at the discharge? I would think all that grass that is trying to get out and hitting the OCDC would just fall to the ground and leave a trail.

Joel B.

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

When I used an OCDC on my TTHP, yes, I would get a trail of grass at the discharge. I switched to a fully baffled mulch system and although it has it's drawbacks, in the long run, overall, it has worked the best for me so far.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Great question!

I'd also like to know if you ran mulch blades and closed the OCDC whether you could mulch or semi mulch clippings and reduce the amount hitting the OCDC ??

Gotta be an effective way of mowing a variety of grasses and conditions without installing and un installing a mulch kit, but still leave a clean finish like a mulch kit, e.g over here a lot of folk let their lawns on acreage get way too long, too long to effectively mulch yet they don't like clippings sprayed over the top of the turf, what should I do??

That's why I too am interested in these OCDC's....

Thanks.

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

OCDC & winrow of clippings -- Yup, you have all blade chambers attempting to pass clippings through the discharge chute, when you block the chute you will have a winrow.. What you will not have is clippings in the mulch beds, plastered against the homes foundation of on the side of your customers car.. Unless you are cutting very tall grass this winrow can be dispersed very easily with a portable blower (much easier than 'blowing out mulched beds', 'washing down a foundation' or your 'customers ride'.. Once you are past the obstruction you open up the chute and are back in the mowing business.. Few minutes with a blower sure beats attempting to mow near beds and obstructions while going backward (discharging away from obstacle).
    I use the Master Chute with foot activated electric switch, pricey but no problems (so far).

BobR

5. Tonyr

So what if you run Gators for eg. under the deck with OCDC closed?

This would reduce the windrow wouldn't it?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No/ An OCDC is NOT a mulch kit. The clippings still make their way to the right side of the deck. It is not intended as a mulch kit. It has it's own purpose.

7. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

Nice website quickchute

8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Ony used for short bursts.

9. Tonyr

Thanks guys,

My desire is to use only the side discharge option for versatility reasons, this was why I asked about mulch blades in a closed side discharge deck, I understand about the windrow, but was wandering whether due to closing airflow it might ''lock'' clippings at each blade for a split second longer giving me s small enough clipping that it will be able to hide in the grass (using gators for e.g), not like a bulk of clippings normally left on top after side discharging.

I'm at this point as a lot of clients around here don't mow often enough, and when I side discharge they don't like the trash left, if I mulch mow it is often too long, and pick up is not an option, what are other options?

To side discharge them mulch is not an option either, the new toro's mulch kit is quite time consuming to fit, well over 1 hour.

Thanks again:)

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

If you can come up with a way to have an overgrown lawn look pristine with one pass you will be able to sell it and hire your own lawn service. If the grass was being cut at the 1/3 rule you would not be having a problem as the clippings would readily settle into the turf but when you are cutting in excess of 50% of the blade height you are going to see a lot of clippings on the lawn. Only 'double cutting' or 'bagging' will give the desired results, both are time consuming and you would have to adjust your prices to stay profitable. Have you approached the land owner and explained the problem (lots of good information on cutting height if you do a search) they might be receptive to a more frequent schedule at your current rate (than at the same schedule as now with an increased rate for double cutting or bagging). Have you tried closing your chute opening on the 'turbo force' deck? That in combination with SHARP mulching blades (gators with the LONG sharp edge) might reduce the clipping size.

BobR