OCDC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Mar 14, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

When the OCDC is in the down position, it blocks the grass, right? If I don't have mulching blades and the grass can't escape, what happens to it? Does it just clump and lay on top after you pass? I had a Snapper with a mulching kit, which consisted of ninja blades and only a baffle covering the discharge opening. It didn't work at all. Wouldn't the OCDC have a similar effect?

Thanks.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The main purpose of an OCDC is to momentarily stop the discharge of grass from the deck. It does this very well. To operate perfect, the OCDC would have to be curved to match the blade arch. Much like the mulch plates we see on many manufacturers. Unfortunatly they cant do this AND be hinged to lift out of the way.

I use mine constantly on leaf cleanups as it keeps most leaves under deck to be cut up into bug dust. Mulching blades or not, OCDC's work and are a very useful addition to any rotary mower.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

An OCDC isn't designed to be a true mulching device. It is more for blocking off the chute while going by flower beds, mulched tree rings, ect. It is also nice for leaves. I leave mine open just a bit so chopped leaves can get out but chops them up good. If you close off the OCDC in tall grass and leave it down, it will clump, but with the double blades, that chops up the clipping enough for the average growth to look like it it mulched.

When the grass is growing an inch a day like it can in the spring, I just double cut them and it looks like it was mulched and it looks like not much was cut off. I don't thing there is any mower that can mulch perfectly when it is growing fast in the spring when the grass is so darn juicy. If you can, you have to go a lot slower, so I figure it's just as good and as fast to just go over it twice at higher speeds.

4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dixie1, Have you had a chance to dig up a picture of your York OCDC to post? I haven't heard anything new from them, but I'm going to be putting an UltraVac on my Lazer next week so I may not need it for a while until things slow down enough to start discharging again. Thanks, Will