Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Been looking at OCDC's on here, I notice the one from www.qwikchute.com does not have holes in the bloking plate where off memory the one from Meg-Mo has, do the holes make much difference?

I'm going to put a OCDC on a new 7 Iron J.D deck, need one very tough that works.

Who makes the best built, longest lasting OCDC out there?
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have an EZ chute, and it works great. I don't know if they make them for JD decks.

Just out of curiousity, why do you need and OCDC for a rear discharge deck? or are you getting rid of it?
  3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the qwikchute looks like a factory option installed on my Hustler Z.
    It operates very slick, by that I mean it is very well thought out and works well for me.

As for the types with holes in them, at some point the holes get plugged [either partially or completely] by discharged grass clippings.

I bought the thing to control discharge clippings. I liked the idea of a solid movable plate.
    If it had holes in it, then I probably would not have been interested and would not have bought it.
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a Quick Chute for one of my 757's. The other has a ASC (whatever you call it). The ASC is hard to open unless you leave the bolts loose, then it falls down when you turn. i've broke the handle off once cause the thing is to hard to open. Holes plug up right away so they are virtually worthless, need to be bigger. Maybe they changed it but the fit leaves something to be desired, the one i got is a universal model. i don't know much about how the Quick Chute will work, haven't got to try it yet. We have snow on the ground.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the meg mow model and the way its fabricated very little if any grass will pass through the holes. I have no exp with quickchute but Im very pleased with the ACS here is a link to the thread and it shows it mounted to a JD

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep thats my JD that we mounted it to last year. Had to jerry rig it a little cause it was a universal fit. Holes stay plugged up all the time.
  7. Tonyr

Thanks Guys,

Just looking at the main lever, qwikchute's seem to be shaped out of the way more?

working around trees etc, not having a lever out in the open is best for me.

Ya all know my dramas with my rear discharge deere, yesterday the boss of the dealerships in my area, not from j.d, he owns 4 big truck and mower dealerships....well he is bringing up a new 997 side discharge up this week, it it is better, we swap, I get a new mower, free.

I am confident I can use a side discharge deck on my new jobs where rear discharge was great, by adding a good chute blocker.

So, I hope that explains my research into these more....

HEY, what is this new 7 iron deck JDREP2 spoke of in another thread?
  8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Quickchute on my Super Z. It has been a great add on and I use it all the time, I am sure you know this isn't a dedicated mulcher, but works flawlessly for me.
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'll tell you. The handle has gotten snagged operating under trees. This happened when I first started using one.
    I don't know why, perhaps because of a learning curve, I don't have that problem now.
    It is heavily constructed, and has taken abuse.
    It is really a quality piece in my opinion. Hope this helps mate.
  10. Tonyr

thanks guys....appreciate ya help, really do.

Thanks Tim, great to see ya around, been awhile lol yeah, not gunna use it for mulching, just stop crap froim hitting cars, houses etc on new development jobs.