OCDC's and windrowing/clumping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 19, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This question is for those that use OCDC's (of any kind, it doesn't matter).
    With all this exessive spring growth, do you get a windrow of clumped grass right along where it hits the OCDC plate, when it's closed?

Seems to me that it will happen alot in heavy growth. I'm picturing having to go back and blow/disperse clippings around. Which sorta defeats the purpose.

Of course, I'm speculating because I don't have one yet. But I have been thinking about getting one.

Comments appreciated.

2. MasterForm

MasterForm LawnSite Member

They will leave a trail depending on thickness & length of grass.

A couple of things to do:
    1.) You go over that area the opposite way and then they're pretty much gone.
    2.) In many cases, you leave the flap open 1/4 way and you still get dispersion, but not that 5-10' discharge.
    3.) Blow it with your blowing equipment- it still saves time compared to blowing the pavement.

They're not magic, but once you've mowed with one, you will not want to go back...

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Masterchute, thanks for the input.

Hey, while I have ya here, a few questions.
    I'm curious why you only offer your product for Exmarks?
    Any plans to expand to other brands?
    Also, any way to make yours work on a recoil start mower?

I know there are a few manual OCDC's on the market that I can look into. But with pistol grip WB's, it sure would be nice to be able to hit a button with my thumb to operate it as opposed to having to come to a complete stop so I can take my hand off the grips to turn a manual one. And then stop again to open it back up. Could be annoying.

Maybe an auxiliary battery to run your OCDC?

Just thinking out loud.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Jonathon I replied to your email, did you get it? If you take and weld a 1 1/2" wide lip to the bottom of your OCDC that sticks inward toward the blades, but goes just under the blades and right under the edge of the deck, this will help that windrow tremendously. In heavy growth it will leave trails of clippings around the blades but not on the discharge side. If you were running only gators that even might be eliminated but you get the windrows with single regular lifts or with doubles regular lift and gators. Now this means that it doesn't exactly work to direct clippings down, so this is a major drawback for some, but for others who just want to either let it fly or mulch on the go this is a good solution to the windrows. But if you do this you need to clean off the packed grass from it as they pack up with that lip, making it heavier and putting more stress on the control mechanism as it bounces on rough ground.

5. MasterForm

MasterForm LawnSite Member

We've been building OCDC's for 7 years. In fact, most of the one's we made are manual.

We don't "offer" them for sale, but we've built them on a custom basis.

Why only Exmark?
    1.) Our unit is specific to the machine. This eliminates drilling, etc. on your deck. You can mount a MasterChute in seconds.
    2.) Being unit-specific, we went with eXmark because they're the biggest and most widely used in our area.

We will be offering an adapter for most brands of mower. We're working on that now. The MasterChute will be slightly different and have an adapter that will bolt on to each deck. These models may require some drilling.

As far as mounting a battery, that's not something we could endorse. The battery would need re-charging quite regulary and wouldn't fit well with the "hands-free" "trouble-free" philosophy of the MasterChute.

And you're right: the big advantage of our product is the "on-the-fly" charateristics. The guys flip them constantly.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

BHB, I did get your email. Thanks for taking the time to send all the photos.
    I appreciate it.

I just don't have a welder or the proper tools to manufacture something like that.
    I'll likely end up buying something already manufactured..............one of these days.

Thanks again though.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No problem, glad to help. What mower are you wanting this for? The MasterChute, although i was at first leary of it because of it's electric mechanism and the flap looked flimsy, but now it "appears" thicker (or I was looking at it wrong before) but I have come to the conclusion that the electric lift would not be a problem as far as reliability goes. Electric motors and gearboxes are probably more reliable than our eXmarks and Scags are... anyway, I will be building an OCDC for my Scag STHM rider and now I am considering making it electric like the MasterChute since it has a battery and alternator (unlike my w/b).

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Gogetter
    when its that bad just bag it, Thats what I Do.
    John.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

John & BHB, I'm running an Exmark belt drive 36" WB, and a Snapper hydro 52" WB.

I have a metal grass catcher that fits the Exmark, but it fills SO fast and is SO heavy that it's just a pain in the asss. Plus carrying all that grass around in my truck sucks! And then I have to drive to the dump, shovel out the grass, and pay on top of it all.

I just can't see it. I played it through my head over and over, and I just can't see it being easier to bag. Even on my small 8-10K sq.ft lawns, I'd have to empty that bag like 10 times on each lawn!

True, the lawn would look better in the end, but it would just about DOUBLE the length of my day.

Thanks again all!!

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Joh
    Then Put a Ocdc Thing On It and Blow The clippings Around So you dont see them. Either way It takes time.

Fined a Farmer Who likes a Little Money And do some Business.
    John.