Octane herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jan 26, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

--I just saw an ad for a new herbicide. Octane, By Sepro. I don't recall seeing the name Sepro.com before.
    ---Looked at website and it contains "Pyraflufen", 2%. Use rate as I recall is 2 to 3 ounces per acre. For turfgrass, christmas trees Etc.
    ----Has anybody tried it or heard anything about it? Are any universities using it in experiments.?
  2. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

I would also like to here any thoughts on this product.
  3. RigglePLC

Octane is known as "Edict" in the brush control/ roadside management business. To answer my own question. It is a protox inhibitor, a relative chemically of carfentrazone and sulfentrazone. Invented in Japan--probably used on rice.
    ---I found this link from the State of Washington.

---Oral toxicity is low--but like Surge and Speedzone can cause irreversible eye damage.
  4. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Octane is a new herbicide from SePRO. Octane is a PPO inhibitor contact herbicide that works extremely fast. It will be used primarily in tank mix with systemic herbicides to improve efficacy and increase the speed of activity. This is necessary many times to prevent costly call backs from customers who need to see immediate results. Octane is labled for use on broadleaf weeds only at the present time. Octane can also be used alone on newly seeded turf to control small broadleaf weeds prior to complete turfgrass establishment. Thank you for your interest and I would be happy to address any further questions that you may have on Octane or any other SePRO products.
  5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

How does it do on Violets and Ground Ivy?
  6. RigglePLC

Actually, it does not list violets and ground ivy under "weeds controlled".
    Doubtful that it would do much. I am disappointed, too.
  7. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Actually, Octane has very good activity on these important weeds although they are not listed on the label. Unfortunately, with the number of potential weed species, we are unable to test each one for efficacy and add them to the label. Octane is labeled for all broadleaf weeds and is legal to be used on all even though they may not be listed specifically. Remember, Octane is a contact herbicide with very fast activity and is best used in tank mix with a systemic herbicide for complete lasting kill. As we continue with the product, we will continually be testing the product for efficacy on various weeds and subsequently add them to the label at the next review.
  8. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

I went to a pesticide seminar in January and learned about Octane. From my understanding it is Quicksilver with a different chemical composition. It acts the same way but is much cheaper. Octane is $50ish and Quick is $130 for 8 oz. They will cover similarly but I am disappointed it has not been released yet. I have had it on order since Jan and still waiting on it =)
  9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I used it on two new properties recently that were infested with broadleafs. It was used in conjunction with Trimec 992 at a 1.5 oz/A rate. If you mix for just one small property, you use the supplied eye dropper which is marked in milliliters.

I have no data on the results just yet.
  10. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

ACutAboveNC, I am curious to know if you have received your Octane yet. I appologize for the delay in supply, but the launch of this product has been extremely successful and we actually stocked out of our initial production. More product is now flowing back into the marketplace and we should be fully stocked in a week or so.