october mowing in new england

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rosolar, Sep 27, 2006.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

what do you guys do in october when leaves become an issue? Do you continue weekly visits and bag the leaves with the mowing, or keep mulching? I'm in eastern ma. I'm thinking the first week of oct. will be my last "mowing" which I mulch the clippings and leaves. After that I will begin bagging the leaves each visit and charging hourly. I have a big quik vac for my z.

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I usually cut through the first 2 weeks of October, and then bi-weekly till the and of the month. Although I do continue some customers weekly. I grind them up and maybe throw the bagger on for a few passes.
    Once the leaves really start coming down, I make the lawn look presentable and thats it. I don't get fussy till mid November.
    The last 2 weeks of October is when the extra charges get added to the invoices.

3. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I mow right through the end of October. My September bill goes out with an insert telling my customers that we will be mowing and cleaning up leaves until the end of the month. We will be charging for leaf maintenance and dump fees.
    Starting in November, we will be to your property approx. twice in the month *( weather permitting) Clean-ups are done on an hourly basis and dump fees are based on weight and volume. I never give a price for a Fall clean-up. So far for 19 years, it's worked pretty good. South Shore, Halifax, Ma.
    If you do good work and have an established trust with your customers, the door is wide open.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i will just mulch the leaves up, like io do when i mow, but there is a point at which too many leaves don't mulch well. if they wants a clean up, they pay cleanup prices. the minimum i shoot for is $65/hr. we already have a good amount of leaves fallen, my front yard trees are almost bare, the backyard still has a lot left, figure that one?