odd idea

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

yesterday i was catching up some lawns from mon/tues bad weather, and i say a big named (county only) company towing a long enclosed trailer with a old ambulance. they stopped at a house and out popped 4 guys out the rear and 2 in the front. my question is has anyone ever thought of doing something like this.
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

A little confused on your statement. I think I get the gist of it. But no I have not seen the likes yet. Could you please explain your thoughts and experience with that issue better? Thanks Frontier
  3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

its a used Ambulance and the inside was gutted of the EMT stuff. seats were added. and repainted for there company colors. plus they had the outside compartments used for misc hands tools and equipment.
    and it was towing something like this
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

There is a company here in Lewisville that I've seen operating out of a yellow school bus...not a full sized bus, but a short-bus.
  5. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

My farther inlaw gave me that same Idea last season
  6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

hummmm a short bus are you trying to say something here ???????
  7. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Seems like it would work great, it would just be odd looking having an old ambulance as a work truck.
  8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have thought about converting an old ambulance to pull my race car trailer around with. It is just like a cube van when gutted, but all the shelves are there. I have also thought about taking all the seats out of a large old bus and building ramps. This way I can drive the car up and in the bus, so there would no more trailer. I don't have the time or the money right now to do it, but maybe some day. The ambulance idea would work, but I would much rather have a dump or pickup truck. I think and ambulance would be far less versatile.
  9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a few guys using old ambulances for work trucks, not for lawn/landscape use though. One is a plumber, and the other is some sort of window convering store. Personally, I have never considered using one. However, I bet you could get an old ambulance cheap.
  10. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen a few companies that use them for grounds maintenance trucks bush trimming, weeding, and etc. Probably works pretty good for those types of things other then that i dunno