1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Odd jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A Simple Cut, Jul 5, 2005.

1. A Simple Cut

A Simple Cut LawnSite Member

Im finding more and more of my elderly customer are asking for odd jobs to be done around the house. I dont mind doing them but what do I charge, my normal $25 per man hour? I feel kind of bad that they have no one to help them, and the pro handyman trys to rip them off. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has this problem.
  2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Same here. I charge the hourly rate and tell them up front. Working for free does not put food on the table and if I spend 10 extra minutes at each account doing free stuff it adds up real quick.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

you know, under normal circumstances, working for 25 an hour is not enough to cover the expenses, but for cases like these, it is ok. I think it is commendable that you are helping out these older folks like this, because they really DON'T have a whole lot of people they can call and trust. I try to help as much as I possibly can, too, but like you say, it adds up. That is time I can be somewhere else making my living (I have to buy groceries in January, too).
  4. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I try to do it as cheap as I can, as long as I can cover my own ass.
  5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

those 'pro-handymen' are trying to make a living. don't let those little old ladies work you like that. they have a lot more experience in negotiating tactics than you have.
  6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

question.........if you do the work, will the other handymans call you a scrub or lowballer?? Think about it.
  7. A Simple Cut

A Simple Cut LawnSite Member

I here all you on this, most are on a fixed income, these are not my elderly customers that have a million dollars in the bank, they are truely trying to make it month to month.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking along those lines myself, and I got a few of those old ladies and you just made me realize something, too.

And yes, old people can skru u hard without u even knowing it.

I don't mind myself doing the odd 5-minute thing but don't let it become regular, all I can say (and that can be hard to do but if push comes to shove, don't be afraid to put your foot down).
  9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

If they need something like a heavy package brought in I just help em out a bit. usually = good tip. I'm pretty close to all my customers so really hard to say no. I know they will take care of me if i take care of them (ie $100 buck wedding gift this past spring). In the winter i do more handyman type things than I can in the summer just because its slower so I dont mind painting a room or helping with other things around thier properties. If I get a special call and have the time I usually go do it but it gets charged accordingly. I tore out a section of fence for one lady and my priced was 250. She asked if she could pay 125 this month and 125 next. That was fine I been doing her yard over 2 years and she pays 50 per cut for 35 min work(her offer)
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right what goes arounds will come around.I would chgarge by the odd job though not by the hour on that kind of work.
    more like change a lightbulb n/chg -paint a room 150.00
    fix a fence 35.00-move furniture 25.00 -little stuff 10.00