odd question about a hand grinder

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tapr Lawn Care, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Tapr Lawn Care

Tapr Lawn Care LawnSite Member

ya, I lost the chuck key to my grinder. I have tried vice grips and plyers on it to take out the old blade and install the new one but it didn't work. I use a grinder to sharpen my mower's blades. Is there any way to unlock this without the use of a chuck key? or is there an easier way to get my blades sharpened? I guess I could take them to someone but I'd like to do it myself.
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

What does the chuck key look like? If its a wrench like piece of flat metal with 2 little nubs sticking out, you can go to harbor freight and get an adjustable spanner wrench for about $5. Or you can buy a new hand grinder there for $15.00 (on sale)!:laugh::laugh:
  3. ChrisB1134

ChrisB1134 LawnSite Member

On my angle grinder I removed the special nut that was there from the factory and replaced it with a normal nut. Now a 1 1/16" wrench is all I need.
  4. sure cut

sure cut LawnSite Member

normally i juswt put some gloves on, press the button on the back to lock and turn the whole disk by hand to undo it then the same to tighten