Odd question but...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by will_c, Apr 8, 2007.

1. will_c

will_c LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I'm a grad student at American University making a film about lawn care in America. I would like to get some shots of homeowners applying fertilizer, pesticides, mulch, etc. and would like to ask them a few questions about their method of lawn care.

Do you have any advice as to the best approach to do that? Do you think you have any homeowners on this forum and in the Washington DC metro area that would let me do that? They would remain anonymous in the film except for their first name and so there wouldn't be any need to worry about privacy matters.

Thanks in advance for your attention and help.
    Will

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

put out a request on craigs list and some of your local free papers

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds hokey to me... Probably doing a hit piece on how homeowners are destroying the planet with massive chemical use of something...

4. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

visit a garden center trust me they can probably give you names of people who will want too. they get some characters, and would know people who would be willing.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

My thoughts exactly... probably would NOT be in anyones best interest to do this until we get a lot more info.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Good point Steve.

7. will_c

will_c LawnSite Member

First, thanks for the helpful replies. I appreciate them.

Second, the structure of the film is as follows:
    History of lawns in America - where did they come from (answer: England). Invention of lawn mower made lawn care feasible for most. Before, "mowing" was done mostly by sheep or hired hands.

Psychology of lawn care - average homeowner spends 40 hours/yr taking care of their lawn. Can it be considered an obsession? Are homeowners giving in to peer pressure to make their lawns look like those of their neighbors? Does it give them a feeling of control over nature?

Advertising - how do golf and commercials drive homeowner behavior? (Interview psychologist)

Pesticides - What do homeowners know? Do they know that pesticides don't just disappear once introduced in the environment? That chemicals actually accumulate in the body over time. That children aged 6-11 have 4x the amount of chemicals in their bodies than is deemed safe by the EPA? That most pesticides have not been fully studied for their effects on health?
    There are 36 commonly used lawn pesticides. A report finds that:
    • 14 are linked to cancer
    • 15 are linked to birth defects
    • 21 are linked to reproductive effects
    • 24 are linked to damage to the nervous system,
    • 22 are linked to liver or kidney damage
    • 34 can cause allergies or are irritants.
    Ask a toxicologist: Are there pesticides in our drinking water? Are we seeing effects in wildlife? In human beings?

This is not a piece that is meant to slam or implicate anybody - just more of an informational film that, in part, talks about chemicals. As I mentioned, this is a student film and so will not be shown outside of the university.

8. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I have been around a lot of chemicals, can you provide more info on these dangerous lawn pesticides e.g. chemical names?

9. will_c

will_c LawnSite Member

hmartin,
    Yes, I can and will. Give me a day or so to compile the list for you.