Odd Question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by blaze347, Jan 20, 2006.

1. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I have a 2 yr old Z,and about an hour into mowing I smell a odor like wood burning. I checked to see if a "twig" etc was caught up in the belts, and there was nothing there. I also checked the tension on the belt to make sure it wasn't rubbing against the deck and/or slipping. I see no smoke. Sorry about such a stupid question, but do you have any ideas??????? This happened the last three times I cut the grass in the fall. I mean't to ask this question back then, but forgot all about it. With lawn season right around the corner, I figured I would start getting everybody's opinion on this.
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I would check your pulley's. I have had the bearings start to go away and the belt did not travel properly and started to wear and rattle and smoke some. Make sure your tensioner is working properly as well. It may be under tension at rest but still have some play under load. I bet you have a bearing going bad in one of the pulleys on the deck. Make sure you have clearance with your belt under your mower. I had an issue with my mini where the belt would touch the frame when under load at max mowing height.

Good luck
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Were you doing leaf work by chance? any build up of leaves on the deck? or maybe near the exhaust?
    Weird that it only happens a hour into mowing...
    As Shady posted above, check your idler pulley bearings, although they would be making some noise and would be noticeable almost immediately upon failure.