odd shaped mulch beds

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by crownls, Apr 6, 2005.

1. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

Got a customer who wants mulch installed and i'm just trying to figure out the correct amount of mulch to order. how do you all calcualte odd shaped beds. one bed is kidney shaped 48 feet long the widest part is 12 feet the narrowest is 6 feet. Another is 145 feet and shaped like a W widest part is 23 feet. I need a depth of 3" any info appreciated.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

your best bet is to estimate! On the kidney, treat it as 2 circles or even 2 squares. On the w treat it as 4 rectangles. As long as you are close you will be good.

3. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

thanks marko, this really helps me out

4. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Yea i agree and remember its better to over estimate than under estimate and make 2 trips

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

something this large you may make out better by subbing it out to a mulch blower, and just tacking on your profit, and do no work, just collect.
    just a thought, as this way the sub company would do all the estimating for you, and you simply take their price, add 10% or whatever, and roll to the bank. just a thought. depending on what equipment you have to transport the mulch, it may be a very wise thing to do.