Odd trailer tire wear + what tires are working best for you?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ProStreetCamaro, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6x12 that came with junk bias tires. They wore out unevenly before the first season was done. I put on carlisle radial trailer tires and I'm on my 3rd season and they are wearing evenly.

2. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

i quit buying trailer tires and got a set of radial light truck tires. They are working out great

I read that you're not supposed to use auto/truck tires on a trailer(safety issue?) but I can't recall why.

.... Maybe something about the stability of the sidewall?

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

read that you're not supposed to use auto/truck tires on a trailer(safety issue?) but I can't recall why

Been using them for 10 seasons now and never had a problem
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

yes weak side walls

5. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Most tires that will fit on a trailer rim are for small cars. Rated at way less weight than a trailer tire. If you have a small 6x12 trailer they're fine. Equipment trailers or big enclosed trailers, forget about it.

6. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

The fist 6x12 trailer I bought over 10 years ago was a Parker Performance trailer and it actually came with car tires on it.

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what i have is a pasker performance 77" x 12', but run the same tires on my 20' z 83" ooen trailer too
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

They lasted less than a year......it was the brake tire. Local lawn dealer is selling iron man tires. They are a lto cheaper so we will see about wear.

9. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

why don't you talk to a professional tire guy instead of professional (some at least) lawn guys.. Your problem is in the inflation and your probably buying junk bias ply tires.. spend a little more money on better radials and you wont be replacing them every year.. you can use tires for "cars" on trailers.. standard trailer tire size, 5 lug- 205/75/15, 6 lug-225/75/15, 8 lug- 235/85/16 ..many heavy equipment trailer owners switch from "trailer tires" to light truck tires, load range E because they hold up longer.. the key to any sidewall flex is in CORRECT air pressure not to be confused with max air pressure

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I was about to start a thread on this. My trailer is brand new and has about 5000 miles on it and the inside of the tires are all messed up. The tire says 50psi but they were at 35 so I moved them up a little. Looks like I'll be buying some radial tires. Why do people make cheap sh$t????