Ode To Dixon !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lifetree, Jun 5, 2008.

1. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is a thread to sing praise for Dixon commercial mowers !! Alot of people here on LS don't seem to like Dixon, however, I'm posting a couple of pictures here to illustrate that it is a good machine and gives a good quality cut.

Any other people out there that have nice things to say about Dixon, or show with pictures, please feel free to post. All others, please move on to the next thread.

RAM-MAGTest01.jpg

RAM-CutTest01.jpg

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Please don't bring up Dixon...

3. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

sorry but that cut dosent really look good

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

o boy, dixon...would you care to share the specs on these machines? i cant seem to find any on their website. what gauge is the deck? what is the cc on the pumps? does it have dual hydro pumps? what is the volue of the deck? i can find more info on a residential unit from lowes than a "commercial" dixon. we have one dixon dealer in town, he is alos an lco, even he doesnt use dixon machines.

5. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I like it that they're blue. Like a New Holland, IMO...

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

The steering levers look real cheapo , looks like they might bend ?

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Dixon mowers made me a lot of money over the years. The 50" deck you have on your machine was the same deck that I have logged well over 6,000 hours on. Is it the best? No. If it's adjusted just perfect, pitched almost level, if not just a fuzz higher in the front, and actually level, they cut ok in most conditions. They do well in wet grass because of the tunnel design of the deck, but lack the sufficient flow to handle tell/thich grass without leaving trails of grass behind the deck.

I bagged 98% of the time with mine, and the catcher on the dixon's was designed very well. Easy to open and get to the bags. The blower on the other hand, while it worked great, love the stand up type blower, every one I owned ate blower belts left and right. Too much of an angle and twisting for any belt to survive.

Just talking "commercial" machines, over the years I owned 1 model 5022, 3 model 5023 Dixons, and one Kodiak. In that time I owned and sold a Walker and a Exmark because neither I liked as well as the Dixons. Now that I look back, all I can think... Was I nuts? I'm probably OLDER than I should be at age 29 because of the beating my body took over the years riding on the Dixons with the tiny little tires and no suspension anywhere. Also having to constantly be working on something, adjusting the deck, replacing belts, you name it. The last one I had, the Kodiak, spent nearly a MONTH in the shop for warranty repairs, over the span of 4 or 5 visits in the first 800 hours of owning the machine. Granted all the problems were with the hydraulics and the engine.

I still have one old 5023 in my shed. It needs work to say the least, but I kept it for a back-up, which it's worthless for that now since the hydrostats are pretty much shot and the engine has a coil going out.

Since I bought a Grasshopper last summer, and have 450 hours on it now with only ONE trip to the mechanic for a warranty repair (replacement) on a pulley, it cuts almost perfect in about any condition, dosn't eat belts, rides like a dream, and so on and so forth. I wish I had made the switch years ago...

8. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

me too. Never used one, or even seen one on a trailer. See the really old ones sitting around sometimes. Are they less expensive?

9. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

we have a dealer that sold huskey and Dixon. now he is going to only sell Dixon. did not look like a machine that i would buy. but that's me. if it is making you $$ that's all that matters

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

in all fairness i dont think its the operator, or the fact that its a dixon. looks like either the deck, blades, or tire pressure need adjusting