Odin/ other Scag SWZU 36" owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 15, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like I found a nice design flaw. I noticed last night that the right blade bolt nut is directly underneath the mounting plate for the pulley cover.
    This is really going to make changing the blade on that side a PITA. I use a cordless impact to change blades and there is no way I can get one in there even with a swivel socket. There is no reason why that mounting tab could not have been moved back or forward a few inches. It only holds a small metal shield for godness sakes. EERRRHHHH.

I know these type of things happen on all equipment so I am not mad at Scag and I still love my machine, but THESE DESIGNERS NEED TO THINK A LITTLE.

How do you guys that own these change blades? Ratchet, wrench?

Also, I see that the oil drain is located directly above the hydro wheel motor, and there is not enough clearance underneath to even get a drain pan. Looks like oil is going to get all over everything. Anyone come up with a slick idea for making this less messy?

Jimbo

2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

jimbo i use two wrench and the blade buddy for the blade bolt and i jack it up a little with a floor jack when i change the oil enough to get a oil pan under there .

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, well at least you dont have MY problem. I sharpened my new Gators on my Encore Pro Line, and you have to jack the thing like 4 feet up in the front cuz the blade bolts (1" socket) go ALL the way (and yes I mean ALL the way) through the cr@p scag spindles!!!!!!!! (I replaced the spindles cuz encore were cr@p too) and the spindles are 9 1/2" from top to bottom. Since Its a mid mount deck, I have to raize it WAY up in the air to get the blades off (not to mention how hard it is to hold on to the wrentch on the top (another stupid thing):angry:

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Listen here is what I do on every Scag I own. I drop the deck down as far as it can go and remove the bolts and put them through the top. Not to be funny but "my nuts" are on the bottom!!!:D

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

LMaO!!!!!!! Hey, do you think I could INVERT them so I can pull the hole "spindle shaft" per say out through the top, or would that be a BAD IDEA?

6. Jimbo

Nelbuts- How long have you been running your mowers like that? It doesn't sound like a bad idea. I have been trying to think of a reason it wouldn't work right, but I cant come up with one.
    There must be a rhyme to there reason but I haven't figured it out yet....give me some more time, and I'll think of something.

Jimbo

7. Jimbo

Ok...here it is. Maybe they thought that it would be harder to reach under the deck to break the nut loose than breaking it loose from the top...sound reasonable. Yeah thats it.

Jimbo

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just what are you talking about here?

Spindle mounting bolts?

Blade Bolts?

Deck mounting Bolts?

As for blade changes on any SCAG WB.....

Back off trailer till tires are at TOP of ramp/gate. Pull handle bars back till mower stands up and rests its back on the gate. Caster wheels will be airborn.

Get 2 15/16" box wrenches. One on top one on bottom.

Reverse procedure.

Simple.

As for ZTR's....

Either run right side caster tire up the left edge of your trailer gate, or I sometimes use a chain hoist and hoist the front of the mower up. A creeper allows easy movement on floor. For non-through bolted spindles, I use an impact. For through bolted spindles (SCAG) I would still use 2 wrenches.

Jimbo,

Just what exactly is in the way of the spindle bolt? I have never seen a SWZU in a 36" size. Only normal fixed deck versions.

9. Jimbo

TLS- We are talking about the Blade bolts.

Following is a photo of whats in the way. Its a mounting tab for the belt shield. No reason for having it in this location. Now I cant use my impact in the field.
    The bolt cannot be put in the other direction because you cant get it past the mounting tab. Looks like my impact days are over for the right side blade.

Jimbo

img_0269-1.jpg

10. Jimbo

Another angle.

img_0270-1.jpg