OEM Blade Setup on Toro 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Jun 4, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I've got some of those Toro 2-Cycle 21"s...

I bought Gator Blades the other day, and when I replaced my OEM blade setup there was this 6-7" piece with the blade as well. Looked like it was something to do with the mulching system or something.

Anyways, I didn't put it back on.

What is it? And should it be on there with the Gators?

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Put it Back On...It Aids in Lift & Mulching...Take out the Plastic Recycler Kickers...

Or Run Doubles!

doubles.jpg

3. EagleLandscape

One blade being the OEM blade and the other the Gator Blade? SO you're saying run two blades and that little 7" piece? Can the engine handle that?

4. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

I run 2 stroke toros as well! THE BEST MOWER EVER MADE! My commercial ones have 2 bolts to hold the blade on and doubles can't fit. I say keep the kickers, keep your deck painted and clean.

5. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

Jwingfield2k,

Have you used the gators yet? I am curious as to the results that you are getting on the your small mowers.

I recently purchased some gators to use on my JD JX75, and the results have been mixed. When mowing fescue, the results are better than OEM blades. Perfect mulching with no clippings to be seen.

When mowing bermuda, they cut very well, but leave a dusting of clippings on the top of the grass. Wet or dry, and irregardless of mowing speed, I get the clippings. This is not something that I experienced with the OEM blades.

I have a feeling that this may be something that is specific to the JD, the gator blades seem to have more lift than the OEM blades.

Any imput would be appreciated.

6. EagleLandscape

They do extremely well on Bermuda, it seems that they do a little better than the OEM's. But when it comes to St Augustine they don't cut so well. Unless you can get it really low, then they do alright, but not as good as the OEM's did on St Augustine.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Garden Panzer, that's because you Have the BBC Models...You can't Put Doubles on the BBC Models!!!

For straight Grass take out the Kickers...takes less than 10 min. to remove them.... keep the Flail Blade & OEM Blade & Juice the RPM's to 3600!

For Leaves...Stack Doubles