OEM Filters and Oil

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by MOREDIRT, Feb 5, 2010.

MOREDIRT LawnSite Member

Do most of you buy your filters and oil at the dealer? I bought some filters from my cat dealer today and they were actually cheaper than carquest. Is cat or oem oil better than rotella or mobil?
  2. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

I buy all my filters at the dealer, but the oil i usually get 55 gallon drum of 15-40 rotella for my machines and my trucks.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Myself I wouldn't buy engine oil in 45 gallon drums unless your using it up in one shot. With 45 gallon drums is too much chance of contamination. Any of the contractors I worked for bought 5 gallon pails. They bought oil when they needed it.

Stay away from the cheap filters, Fram is the worst Fleetgaurd or Luberfiner or Racor is some of the best ones.
  4. we always buy oil in 30 or 55 gallon drums.
  5. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Gravel my father has been buying 55 gallon drums of motor oil and hydro oil for about 20 years never had a problem with contamination

6. you worry to much. about the small stuff.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Any of the mechanics I have worked for said buy it in 5 gallon pails. You end up with condensation in your oil if your using drums of oil.

When the gravel mines get the 250 gallon lube cubes they leave the last 30 gallons or so in the cube because it has water contamination.
  8. alco

alco LawnSite Senior Member

I ran lube truck for years and never found any condensation issues with oil in drums or cubes. Now, as for leaving oil in the cubes, were they breaking the seals and opening the lid on top to pump it out? Makes no sense.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Last time I checked, oil can't evaporate at ambient temperatures. How is the container it's in going to condensate? Oh yeah, it's not.
  10. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

Thank You...........