OEM vs Aftermarket Parts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Do you always stick to OEM replacements for your equipment, or do you buy aftermarket parts to save a few bucks?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

After market always.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Doesnt really matter to me. It usually depends on what the part is and which is in stock.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag high lifts around $5 bucks.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone had any luck with J-Thomas belts. Thinking about getting an extra set to keep on hand and wasn't sure about the quality. I've had good luck with their blades.

6. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about j-thomas but I usually order stens off the internet pretty cheap and I've only replaced them when the mice get into my deck :cry:

7. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am always happy with J-Thomas belts, filters and small parts except with blades i like the OEM blades better. (Bigger and heavier.)

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One thing you have to keep in mind, Exmark, Scag, Hustler, Toro, JD, and all the others do NOT make belts. They do not make PTO switches. They do not make blades, They do not make clutches. They do not make wheels, They do not make bearings,. They do not make wheels. they do not make tires. they do not make oil filters. They do not make air filters, and they do not make ANY of the parts for any of their engines. So,...what are you really buying? In most cases, you are paying a whole lot of money for a dealer to handle it, or for a stamp with a name on it.
    To answer the belt question...I have used the J.Thomas belts plenty of times, and they work just fine. You just have to make sure you get the right application of belt for the right purpose. For instance, you have to make sure the mule drive belt is a w/w belt (wrapped and wound).

9. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Buy J-Thomas parts and belts all the time /no problem at all,Quality parts,good service.

10. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My ZD has only one belt - it is a very wide/thick double-v belt for the blades.

Does J-Thomas carry these? It is the original one - three + years. :usflag: