OEM vs. aftermarket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cutnchukcanuk, Jul 14, 2007.

1. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

Have you guys noticed much difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket 4in1 buckets. Opinion of the Cat 60" 4in1 vs. a quick attach or Virnig? Thanks

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If you are just talking buckets, I would not look at OEM stuff. I would prefer to purchase from other supplier, such as skidsteersolutions.com or some other such manufacturer. As far as parts go, there are some times when you have to go OEM, but if I can, I look at other sources. For instance: I needed an alternator for my machine..OEM was kinda proud at $750........regular auto part store (with a little figuring and mix and match).........I could have bought 3 vs. one OEM....

3. cutnchukcanuk

You nailed it with buying parts from the "stealer" I mean dealer. For my truck even the Cummins shop is quite a bit cheaper than the Dodge dealer. There is a local guy selling a Cat 63" 4in1 bucket with very little use. I would expect the Cat unit to be of good quality just expensive because it is name brand.I thought after that it is probable that an aftermarket manufacturer makes the OEM units also. Thanks Rock set grade!

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't hurt to ask your dealer what OEM attachment prices are. I know we got screaming deals on just about every attachment we bought from our Cat dealer with the only exception being our Harley rake. Everything else was heavily discounted and I wouldn't consider buying aftermarket if your dealer is willing to work with you on pricing.

5. cutnchukcanuk

I have a case machine. Salesman at local case figured around 4300.00 canadian (4100us) for a 4in1. Too much for me. Cat here is about 200 less. I tell ya I seem to have an imaginary use for every attachment out there! I scare myself sometimes. I have narrowed my wish list down to a 4in1, pallet forks, dump trailer, snow pusher, snow tires, a set of grousers, and anything else that I can get cheap. I could keep going. I may have to start driving truck again part time to help finance my new hobby I mean Business Venture:dizzy: