% of 32" gates vs 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milkie62, Jul 7, 2008.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I will be getting a 32 or 36 " walkbehind.I have no gates now on my properties.What size gates are most of you running into.I know either mower is wider than its actual cut so I was leaning more towards the 32 "

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I live in colorado..and I can get through about 90%-95% of gates with my 36".

For the ones I can't fit into, I either whip out the 32" belt or the 21" self propel.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Most 36" WBs won't easily go through a 3 foot gate... I'd go with a 32".

4. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I have my 21" commercial Toro but I want something a little quicker and for future gated yards.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Well, since you have a commercial 21", is it really worth having the extra overhead of a 32" or 36" mower just to use on a couple back yards?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

In my world, O god yes it is, I can't stand using a 21" mower...no productivity. If I have to get my 21" inch out...someone's paying for it.
    You'll be happy with a 36" hydro.

You will have many more to choose from when you go 36 as opposed to 32. I can almost gaurantee that you would regret choosing a 32 over a 36. I hardly ever use my 32"...In reality I don't even need it. My 36" though is my bread and butter....I could almost cut anything with it.

7. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

In two years I have only come across one yard that I couldn't get my 36" wb through the gate. I have 4 accounts with gates to the back yards right now. The avg gate will allow a 36" through. Some will be trickier than others and make you angle in.

8. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

It is definitely worth it. I have 5 yards with small gates and I only have a TTHP 48 and a 21" push, and I absolutely can't stand it.

I will be in the market for a used 32" here shortly.

9. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

The way I look at it....there are other guys with small enough mowers to go thru those narrow gates. I refer them on or ask for a wider gate. Many customers wanted us enough to have the fence guys change the gate width.
    Our narrowest mower is a 36" Wright Velke.

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

The narrowest gate I have to get through is 36. My 36 just barely squeezes through.