1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

of all the people to stiff you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Louis, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

I've had a customer for four years now and he has always paid on time so when he didn't give me my first months payment I figured he just forgot, no big deal I would just rebill him next month with the previous months bill figured in. So I drop the bills off at his house on june first like always I just leave them in the door. Friday I see a moving van at the house with a company being paid to load everything out of the house and my customer is nowhere in sight, actually I hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks, but that was pretty normal. Anyway I call a friend of mine to find out what is going on and he skipped the state and didn't tell me. Over two months of mowing down the drain. To make matters worse he is a preacher.............. :angry: I called my buddy from the church who the property actually belongs to and they said that he didn't leave on the greatest terms and that they would try to help me out. Oh well the church has always paid on time and I dont feel it would be ethical to bill them for the services because whoever lives in the parsonage is supposed to pay for the mowing of it.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I would bill the church. It isn't ethical for the supposed "person of God" to steal from you either. I don't know the set up of this church but they usually have a board of directors. I would appeal to them for payment. You did the work as expected and this dirtball took advantage of you. Its up to you to do what you feel is right but I think someone is playing on your good nature and taking advantage of you.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya bill the church
  4. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Why not just bill God himself?
  5. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I feel for you. I've been ripped off like that so many times in the past couple years it's not even funny. It's amazing how many morally-corrupt people there are.

To try to eliminate some of this, I've started requiring payment at the time of service if a house is on the market. No exceptions.
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Well I guess I needed to clean the computer screen anyways. Good thing cause there coffee all over in now. Damn thats funny!
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Next day credit cards would have prevented this. One decline, he's off the schedule. You only risk one mow with next day cc.

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. bucky2

bucky2 LawnSite Member
    from NH

I had a guy try and stiff me for a retaining wall I did.....owed me like 2 g's!!! He was having a BBQ with his family one Sunday and I went right to house out back and started taking the wall down brick by brick...He comes up too me and says "what the hell are you doing" ? I replied. No $$$ no wall!!! :realmad: Basically told Him to pay up or I was gonn break His fing legs. That was a few years ago and I got into some trouble for threatening Him!! I have learned from this and He did pay me. Now I just sue them..put a lean on a new house etc!! :cool2: Some people you have to chase down!! I have no patience for this. I just have my Wife do it now also. She has good communication skills when dealing with such matters.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually he paid in full through his Son....on a hill called Calvary
  10. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't find it (the comment) funny at all. It was bordering on sacriligeous to me.