% of customers you keep

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

For those of you who have purchased existing companies, customer list, etc. what % of those accounts stay with you, the new company? You can based this upon mowing accts, spray/fert accts, whatever it is that you may do.

2. ROCKYM

ROCKYM LawnSite Member

I purchased 65 accounts and lost only 2. The two I lost I never met.I tried to meet everybody with the guy who sold me the accounts and that worked very well. The two I lost I was never able to set up a time to meet with them to introduce myself and they sounded like PITA people anyways when they left a message canceling services.For the most part I think talking to people that 10% loss is expected.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

depends very much on the clientel you are purchasing and the quality and image your company projects.

If you are buying from a scrub and you look like your prices will be higher, expect huge turn over.

If you are buying from a guy who had his act together and had a personal relationship and they are going to be just another number, expect huge turn over.

I would expect no less than 25% within 3 months of transition and up to 50% with in a year.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I guess i am in the ballpark then. Purchased one company 10 yrs ago - only added clients. Expanded our operation and purchased another company 3 yrs ago, 1st yr - everyone, 2nd yr, lost 8%, this yr, steady. This spring purchased another company - lost about 18%. Most of these people called and explained that they had "JOE" for so long and family friend etc etc and didn't want to hurt no one thought this was a good time to find my competition!

So all in all, I guess I am doing OK. Thanks!

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

the actual percent is roughly 25 to 30 percent I have done buy outs twice with a 15 % average between both. good luck pay only on comission and get a lawyer. search for one of my post it outlines how I have done it with great sucess I must say.

6. Mower63

Mower63 LawnSite Member

Purchased 2 companies last year, one mostly commercial (did not lose any) and the other mostly residential (clustered, high-end) (lost 2 out of 58). I've already dropped some of the unprofitable accounts and others due to consolidating the routes to control expenses.

I made it a point to introduce myself to all the accounts AND really focus on building relationships with the right accounts first (big $$ revenue).