$ of fertilizer has me reconsidering next year

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by General Grounds, Jul 7, 2008.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: during the past week i have expeirenced 2 price increases from lesco.

june 30 24-0-11 17.30
    july 3 24.20
    today 27.40

if this keeps up im seriously thinkin about passin on the fert and pickin up 50 more lawns.

anyone else startin to feel this way? tony

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I feel the opposite. Yes prices are rediculous, but my applications are very profitable, especially compared to lawn mowing. Prices need to be passed on. Customers who want something better than TGCL will be stuck paying the increased cost. The only way to honor contract prices and not take a hit on increases is to purchase your product at the beginning of the year. Otherwise you are stuck with the increase or have to tell the customer mid season that they will have to pay more.

3. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Have you noticed the coincidence, of the price increases happening about the same time that the John Deere name is being implimented.

Hmmm, John Deere...... price increases......hmmm.

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

sorry shovel racer try telling your customers that there $ 700.00 program is now gonna cost $1100.00, i think they be going to TGCL. i raised prices 20% from lastyear and that was the end of the world.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Try something different, think out of the box

JD is always going to make a profit off of your purchases, always

Less inputs

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to understand that the price increases are driven by global market forces. It has nothing to do with John Deere.

Raw materials are up because of the increased world wide demand from China, India, Brazil, etc. for synthetic fert. Most of the raw materials are imported to the US from 3rd world countries.

Bill is right, think outside the box. There are other options to succeed in the lawn care business.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I think we'll find that a lot of folks will just quit having a service when we jab them that hard...

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yet there are cheaper places to get fert. Hmmm....

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

No there are ways to use less fert. HMMMM

10. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Go somewhere else. You are getting screwed. My prices are only up 12% since last year.