$ of fertilizer has me reconsidering next year

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by General Grounds, Jul 7, 2008.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

2. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Last August 25-5-15 (which does a great job eliminating rust) $14.95. July 24th $21.95, August 14th $29.00. Instead of being delivered by truck its being sent in a Brinks truck with armed guard.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It Is A Bit Pricey

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to try something like a 21-0-3 40% you would be amazed how much cheaper it would be just lowering the potash and eliminating the phos, unless your'e doing new seed work you really don't need these extra costs, you could also go with something like 18-0-3 2% fe you would be down around 18-19$ a bag just with some small adjustments to your'e program.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Funny you said that...

I was just talking to a guy yesterday and we were talking about fert prices yada, yada.

I just got my last load of liquid 28% delivered for the farm and I asked him "If there was a semi load of liquid 28% sitting beside a Brinks truck...which one would you take"?

He had the same answer as me! :laugh:

Stuff is getting out of control....and no end in sight from what I hear! N will probably go up a little more and possibly stabilize...and P and K is to go through the ROOF!

If you want my personal opinion...don't buy fert by the bag price. Buy it by the % of elements you need. If you are looking for N only...buy it by the unit of N/SCU or whatever you are looking for. Usually the higher the N the cheaper it is!

Good Luck!
  6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

The 25-5-15 was recommended to me 4 years ago to eliminate Rust and I have used it ever since (post summer fert only). I have 80 - 50 pound bags of 29-2-5 (Sure-Green I bought for $5.50 per bag 9 months ago when Lowes was discontinuing it)-I will try that and see the results.