$ of fertilizer has me reconsidering next year

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by General Grounds, Jul 7, 2008.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

If you buy by the truckload or by the pallet, contact me. :)

2. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

59% increase in price in two weeks, and was told the price will be going up on thursday.
    111% from last year.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Get in the real world man....where have you been?

Prices are going up on all fert and it has nothing to do with anything here in the US.

It is purely supply and demand and foreign countries having most of the demand.

On the farm side I have watched my prices also 4x and JDL has nothing to do with that! :dizzy:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,...it's always nice to have about 80 grand layin' around in March allotted for just that.

Yeah,...and what is even more coincidental, is that UHS, MESA, and many other suppliers have raised their prices the same amounts, as well...including small private farm suppliers, as well.

It IS tough, and what we're going to see is ALOT of people wanting to cut back to 4 aps and such. There WILL always be a certain class of people who just don't care...If that's what it takes to keep their lawn nice an green, then by golly, they will pay it. People with 80 grand into their landscape, living in a 3/4 million dollar home, with a $4,000 irrigation system, and pay someone to come in and mow their lawn, are going to pay $500 more a year on their lawn.

I would love to know where this is from....No,...I would LOVE to know where THIS is coming from!

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I just KNEW I shouldn't have bought the Porsche!

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Holy crap! Can you even SEE the grass when you're done? :laugh:

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm afraid to call JDL in the morning.....

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am personally working on my product... compost. The great thing is I plan on being paid to take the stuff to make it, then in about a month or two get paid for having the same people take it away. Money at the beginning and the end. My cost just dropped a good 80%? Was paying about 2.50 (give or take) and now am getting paid a lot more than that. That actually is a negative percentage isn't it?

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

How can you compare program costs is you bought your "corn meal" last fall to the CURRENT fert price?

That is like me comparing my $11.85 fert from last fall to what is now $22.50 a bag.

What is the cost of corn meal NOW! That is how you can only compare cost/K

BTW, I do mostly 1 acre lawns....and it would take about 800#/lawn....

Do you think my customer would mind me showing up with a semi and a PG? :laugh: