$ of fertilizer has me reconsidering next year

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by General Grounds, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

$750,000 grand in Hawaii is worth $25,000 in North Dakota, Mississppi and a few other mainland states..I watch HGTV errr I mean my wife watches and I happen to be in the room:laugh::laugh:

I'm going organic on my yard...I spit my chew spittle on the yard and piss off my deck. The rest I leave too my Lab. Greener lawn is only a Sam Adams and Skoal away.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Don't think that same property is only $25,000. I am not talking about shacks in ghettos. These are homes in the suburbs with lots of landscaping. Tropical landscapes are very high maintenance. As in scout for mealybug every two weeks and apply micronutrients monthly. If I didn't do all of that, its time for me to learn how to flip burgers. Given the low wages and high cost of everything here, if someone can afford a $750,000 or more home, they truly have made it.

3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the costs will keep rising.

I am strongly considering going from a 5 app plan to a 4 app plan for the same cost.

I will get results close to what we are getting now, and less drive time too.

If clients want a "5th App" they will have the option.

Profits will remain good.

Pete

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a 6 visit program (5 ferts with spot spraying, 1 only spot spraying weeds). Great idea Heritage, you have me thinking of going to 4 ferts with spot spraying and 2 spot spraying). Most people care about the weeds where a little less green in their pockets vs their lawn may work for them.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is technically what the stores are doing! They are selling smaller quantities for the same $$$$.

Really a great idea, but the customer needs to be aware of it and buy into it!

If they know they are paying the same for 4 apps as they did for 5, they may raise a little stink....but so is life.

I can tell you that I only recommend 4 apps, and my lawns are awesome. I have always thought (in my area anyway) that anything over 4 apps wasn't needed anyway! You will be very happy with a 4 app program, especially if you can make the same $$$$$ as 5 apps.

6. heritage

Hey Guys,

My thought is that rather than Clients even "Thinking" about being upset about the rising costs of a green lawn, why not cut to 4 apps, (Here it will work) and give them similar results?

Too the "Green" liberals will be happy that we are putting less inputs for such a result ;)

Clients should be content with keeping their costs about the same for their "Program".

I think this is a good direction, and will keep our "Profits" in an upward trend.

Pete

7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

what happens when they ask if you could do it with only 4 apps then why have you been doing 5?

Just curious of your answer.

8. heritage

My answer is simple.

With Improved methods/materials, we can give you a beautiful lawn in 4 applications.

1 less visit will help offset the Overhead and Materials that have both risen substantially in the last 6 Months.

Our Clients trust our Judgment.

Pete

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Hope you're right. My clients are incredibly faithful to me, but if I told them: same cost, but 20% less service... I don't think I'd retain them all by any stretch of the imagination...

10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

the "improved methods/materials" should do the trick but I would leave out the added cost for materials, they just forgot the improved methods and found the real reason. I changed my program, I have a high once a year topdress and really low treatments after that because my cost dropped a few dollars per K, It is a proven product too so I know it works, have been using it paired with another product.

I will keep some wiggle room though.