1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

% of gas per $ mowed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, May 7, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

this is complicated and I am gonna get lots of different answers. But if your mowing gets you 1,000 a month how much of that should be gas. I think I need to tweak my prices casue of fuel but not sure I am making money but I want to have it down to the penny. Numbers number numbers that is all it is!
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Basically if I add up the enough accounts to $1000, I would say that based on 2.17/gal (current Price), about maybe $35-38. Somewhere in there. Year just started for me so it will be hard to tell until I get through a few.
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

37.692307 per 1000. It took me forever to figure out the math. lol
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Somewhere close to $22 for me. Mower fuel is such a small part. The real fuel cost is in the trucks to get the equipment there.
  5. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Fuel is about 4 percent of my total gross sales. Just not much of a factor over all expences each month. We did increase prices again this year to help out.
  6. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Gas 6.7% of my gross right now. Not much in the grand scheme of things but you must know your numbers if you plan on making any cash in the long run.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For grass-cutting, TOTAL fuel for me averages 1 gallon per yard, including truck and mix.

When I cut grass, I cut 8 - 10 yards/day. I plan my routes in advance and try to get 2-3 (or 4) close together, then 1-2 more, then lunch. After lunch, same thing: 2-3 close together, then 2 more: voila, 10 yards.

The truck burns 2/3's gallon/yard at 13.86 mpg.
    The WB burns less than 1/4 gallon per yard (avg) and lasts all day on a full tank.
    The weedeater last 8-10 yards on one tank, sometimes needs a few extra ounces to finish the day.
    The backpack blower lasts 2-3 days on one tank.

Max. fuel budget is $80/week.
    Peak is ~ $1000/week, so TOTAL fuel is about 8 percent.
    But this figure also includes mulch and other jobs...
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Between the mowers, trimmers and blower I use $27 for every $1,000 at $2.259 gallon.

I burn about 12 bucks in truck fuel for each $1000.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't take this the wrong way, but for numbers crunching sake, I sure hope your making more than $1000 per month! payup
  10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

yes definetly beyond a 1,000 a month but I wanted the ratio of gas cost per 1,000. Look at my equipment at 1,000 a month I couldn't even make payments. thanks