% of gross for labor in lawn maintance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedge, Nov 10, 2007.

% of gross that your paying labor for lawn maintenance

1. 30%

9 vote(s)
  2. 35%

8 vote(s)
  3. 40%

7 vote(s)
  4. 45%

3 vote(s)
  5. 50%

2 vote(s)
  1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Good day mowing friends, or foe's :waving: I have a question for you LCO's that have employee's. I am wondering what your end % cost is of their gross, they bring in for you.

In other words, if a crew gross's you $1,000 a day, what is the total cost of said labor including wages, taxes and insurance if you pay workman's comp and related.

Where I am at, they are paying about 42%. So, I will call that 40%.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i'll go with 30% since thats as low as you go but im really at about 26-28 depending on the day.
  3. thill

thill LawnSite Member

When we include statutory costs - matching FICA, Unemployment taxes (state and federal), & worker's compensation insurance ......

It comes out at 42 stinking percent.
  4. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

That's including all state and federal matching? How about workman's comp?
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I was paying around 40% considering all the insurance, etc.. But recently, I cut that back to 0%.:laugh:

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

yes that includes all matching and worker comp. my prices are a litle higher than most around here and wages for basic labor are low. I pay more than the three biggest companies in the area and im still way under what i see people pay one here.
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I was in the mid to high 60s at the beginning of the year but I have raised my prices and to be honest have not had the time to follow up and see where we are at now. The rate increase should have brought me into th low 50s but I promoted a foreman to supervisor and I am sure that has thrown my numbers off.