# of hours on skidloaders?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dodgemania, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

I know alot of you guys run skidloader like myself and was wondering how many hours does your machine have on it and how many you look to put on them. (Realistically).
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I bought mine with 130 hours on it. It had better last well into the thousands, even 10's of thousands.
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

got a cat 236 with about 2900 hours. goes like a new one.
  4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Oooh... I'd say I've put a good four hours on various skid steers. :cool2:
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I buy new and trade at 1500/18 months approx.
  6. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

How's trading in or selling so early work with the equipment depreciation schedule? I know their have been some very good tax benefits purchasing new equipment lately, but you must end up selling it for more than the depreciated value. Do you then have to pay capital gains on the profit of the machine sale?
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I usually depreciate the equipment more rapidly. Because the equipment still has some depreciation left on it and I usually trade there is no captial gains. Capital gains only applys on the money made over and above the purchase price of the equipment. That dosn't happen very often, although sometimes I'll buy something at auction and turn it right away. Anything I make over what I pay for it becomes captial gains. I usually depreciate heavily. The only problem with this is your forced almost to continue the practice because to avoid paying too much to Uncle Sam you have to keep buying iron.