of Irrigation Vans

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I posted a thread a week or so ago on weather or not to buy a utiity body or a van. I was planning on buying a new utility body later in the season, but we need something now. There is an extended Chevy 3500 van for a great price that is in perfect condition for sale right down the road from my shop. I am thinking about going ahead and buying that for our irrigation/lighting tech to use. I figure if it doesn't work I can sell it and buy a new truck later..and proabably make money on the deal. My question is, would anyone be willing to show me pictures of the interior set-ups. The one downfall is that the van does not have the shelving in it, or racks on top. The racks I know I am going to have to buy, but I am hoping to get some ideas on how to avoid paying 1-2k on a shelving system. I thought about wood, buying cheap bin packages from Harbor Freight and somehow fastening them to the van, or buying utility shelving. I know Koster has a sweet set-up so any additional photos would be grea. I have also seen some of the photos from the past, but am hoping for some fresh ones.
    Thanks, Todd
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I can think of two strictly-for-cheap setups one could look into. The easiest would involve angle-iron steel shelving stock, cut and bolted together, to work in conjunction with whatever parts bins you have.

More involved, but maybe far more 'flexible' would be the wire shelving bins used in stores.

Getting either of these for cheap involves buying them used. See what your local yellow pages has for 'shelving' and/or 'store fixtures'
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Sam's Club has some metal shelves with plastic bins that are perfect for irrigation parts. They cost 100 bucks and they have 7 shelves and 18 big plastic bins.

The unit is about 4.5' tall on the wheels and about 3.5' wide. I stet one in my maint trailer and tied it to the wall, works great.

I think it would be especially good if you are looking for something temporary. We have been using it for 3-4 months now. The bins stay in place during travel. I wish I had found them sooner.
  4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds perfect. a few of those would be perfect, and a few hundred bucks is much better than 1-2k.
  5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

heres a few pics of the inside of my van, i have two, both are identical on the inside, except the red van is an extended 3500

i paid the $$ for the adrian steel shelving systems b/c i work out of my vans everyday. i also got something like a grand credit or so for buying a new van for the shelves from GM. i also got a few extras like pull out vise in the floor, wire racks,
    pull out drawers for nozzles etc. a little over a grand for the extras. <the is for the red van>

Im going to buy another truck here soon, selling my older white 2500 van and getting a new chev 3500 diesel crew service body.
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

sweet set up koster.... love the dingo lettered up..... we are considering a van for lighting but may go with just a 14 ft enclosed trailer. I like the racks alot. I used to work out of a van when I did cable tv contracting and the only downside was acsessibility sometimes. Jumping in and out. I dont think you can beat the security tho however. I had 2 rat pack boxes in mine then I got my hands on some nice pull out drawers and shelving from a hardware store going out of business for a few hundred.

I wanna say I had under a grand into the inside including wire racks.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Nice setup. Looks like the bin modules are specifically made for a van interior with the angles at the top/bottom backsides.
  8. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

hopefully the link works. I built this several months ago and its still in one piece.

I actually built 2 units, 1 is 4 feet long and the other 3'6" so it would be easier to put them in the van. Then I screwed them together, and used angle brackets to screw them to the side of the van.

I used 1 sheet of 3/4" mdf for the four uprights. I cut a template out of cardboard to get a shape I liked. It took 2 sheets of 1/2" mdf for the shelves. I ripped 3/4" x 3/4" pine strips for the shelf supports. The shelves are actually pretty strong. If I had more time I would have routed a 1/2" groove into the uprights for the shelves for a cleaner look. I bought cardboard bin boxes (around 60 bucks). I think I got 50 -4" wide and 50- 6" wide boxes, and have at have of them left. They have held up pretty good.

I spent around 175 on it.