+/- of these two ztrs

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kwagner, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

I know a couple threads down there are several ztr questions and even one between hustler and gravely. This question is much more specific. I have Approx. 1 1/2-2 acres to mow about every 5 days or so. i do have a couple gates that limit the size of the deck so I am now looking between the Hustler 2008 mini fasttrak 1742 and the 2007 gravely zt 2044xl. I know both are good mowers and I really like the hustler, but this gravely has quite a few more option than the hustler + the twin cylinder, but the hustler has better warranty options. What opinions do you guys have...all are greatly appreciated. also fianancing is not a big deal to me so both said they would take 2% off for not using credit card.

........2008 Mini fasttrak......................2007 Gravely 2044XL
    Deck ....................42................................................44
    Deck...............fabricated...................................fabricated
    HP .....................17 ................................................20
    Engine Make.......Kohler..........................................Kohler
    cylinders...............1..................................................2
    Trans............dual EZT................................Dual ? (I was told servicable)
    speed..............7 mph .............................................7mph
    blades.................2....................................................3
    blade tip speed...18,200...........................................?17000?
    fuel..................6 gal ................................................9 gal
    extras ..........No parking brake.............................head lights
    .................. 3yr bumper to bumper warr..................... hitch
    ..................lifetime leading edge of deck ..................arm rests
    ..................lifetime frame......................................hour meter
    ......................................................................lockable front axle
    ..........................................................................striping kit

Price.............$3899...............................................$3999
    + mulch kit..........69..................................................100

2. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

As in the other thread, I would look for a serviceable dealer and try to get a demo on both units. From my research, they are both great machine. Of course I have never owned one so I have no experience. Locally, the Hustler 16/36 is about 700.00 more than the Gravely 17/34. I can drive about 4 hours and get the Hustler 16/36 for 3100.00 which now brings the price within 200.00 of each other. My only concern is upsetting my local Hustler dealer. I am still in debate over these two mowers, but I need to make a decision or move on.

Good Luck

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would opt for the larger engine. Check the max cutting height. Some of the smaller mowers won't go more than 4" high. If you have to clear out some thick stuff, that won't cut it.

4. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

in my area I have 2 close dealers that carry hustler and 2 that carry gravely. They both do their own servicing and seem to be reputable dealers. Both mowers have a 4" max cutting height I believe...which 99% of my cutting will be on groomed bermuda anyway.

5. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

I know I will probably be happy with either, i just dont want to get down the road and wish I would have gone with the other one.
    I know the hustler has a great reputation and I couldnt go wrong with it. I just like all the options and upgrades on the gravely and want to make sure I cant go wrong with the gravely also. It just makes me a little worried when I see their low end models that look like they could be sold at Lowes or Home Depot. Then again JD has the same thing...and I know I wouldnt be going wrong with a dealer version of a JD ztr. oh well like you said....I just need to make a decision and move on.

6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

let me help you with my experience on the MFT 17/42.

-the MFT does have a parking brake. it is built into the handles and engages each time you move them to the outside position to exit the mower.
    -i have the 17 hp single and it is more than enough for a week-10days worth of growth on 2ac of well watered centipede growing in the s ga sunshine.
    -the MFT does have a hitch
    -the gravely does have a better hydro sysytem "if" it uses the zt 2800 series. i am not sure after looking at the gravely site, which says "zt" but does not specify the hydro-gear zt 2800, which is usually specified when it is used. that could be advertising-speak for zero turn. techinically the ezt series are serviceable, but they only need to have serviced every 200hrs. i'm not saying they are wrong, but i certainlly would want some clarification from someone other than the dealer, as to which hydro they use.
    -the MFT deck will raise to 4.5in
    -it has a higher blade tip speed
    -it is about 150lbs lighter
    -the frames on the MFT are stouter

-Hustler's warranty
    -and factory support is just an email away to PJ on the Hustler forum

-search for some of my post or read other MFT owner's post. i don't remember ever reading a dissatisfied MFT owner's post on this site

7. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

I agree with you 100%. At one point I had my mind made up to buy a MFT 42, but then I saw this Gravely. I just want to make sure Im not passing up a better deal on an 07 gravely with better components that is going to be just as good of a mower.

8. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

the single cynlinder kohler on the hustler is still a pressurized oil system isnt it...its not just a splash system, right?

9. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

you are correct that the Kohler is a pressurized system. i know they are HO motors, but i have not read any complaints.
    one more thing to consider is how much trim capacity a mower has. that is the distance that the deck sits beyond the outside of the wheels. the more you have the easier it is to get close to objects.
    i am not bashing the gravely, i just know what a fine product the MFT is.

10. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

Yea, That is why im definitely not going for the MFT 36...cause I saw one on craigs list that was an 06 for $2000...hard to pass up.

the gravely actually has a larger deck which is one of the major factors i am conserdering.

I have also been able to get the hustler dealer down to 3850 with the mulch kit and hour meter thrown in.

now the major differences are the arm rests, twin cylinder, 3hp more, and 2" bigger deck on the gravely.