1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

(of topic) Anyone try carpet cleaning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Oct 8, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the off topic question. This forum gets so much traffic i figured it would be a great place to ask.
    Im thinking of getting into the carpet cleaning business for a winter income and would appreciate any advice. Please email me if possible. Thanks
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bedemir,

I'm kicking around some ideas too for winter income. Are you thinking of working as an employee or are you planning to go and buy some equipment?
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea. It costs quite a bit to have someone come and do it. My dad is always telling us to take our shoes off when we come into the house and how expensive it is to have the carpet cleaned. The equipment is pretty expensive though. I have a friend whose dad has a carpet cleaning biz. He says some of the equipment they have is pretty expensive. What happens when someone calls you in the summer and wants their carpet cleaned? How would you do that? Would you sacrifice a weekend?
  4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad Idea boys....One of my Employees owns a Carpet cleaning business and his is the most busy in the spring and fall and that is when the lawn industry is at its peak..he helps me with lawncare in the summer and does his jobs at night and on the weekends. winter is one of the slowest seasons, people just figure they will wait until spring cleaning then have the carpets cleaned. The cost of the equipment is extreme. he had a 20hp kohler rig and it ran him 25,000...plus a cargo van 15,000. plus the cost of supplys and everything else is so expensive. u have to keep the rig heated at all times or else the water in the tanks will freeze...It is a great full-time business but it wouldnt be a great winter oppurtunity.....I am thinking about investing into a tanning salon within the next few years for some winter income.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

i've been also thinking of what else i can do in the winter-but when mowing time starts next year i will not have time to keep doing whatever extra i start this winter.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Buy the equipment used and only do the work when you want to. We usually just rent a water system and only do our normal customers as an extra service. We also do shingling on single storey houses, interior house cleaning and anything else that we feel we can do.
  7. Carpet cleaning is not a repeat business. You need customers to buy on at least a monthly basis. Too much one shot running all over town chasing your tail for dimes.

Plus too much competition and very little profit margin.

In the past when I needed income I would work for $9/hour loading trucks (outbound) at a local distribution center for a very large dept. store. Work like this is good for the body and comforting to the soul. And requires no investment and you can quit whenever.
  8. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

I am thinking about it, there is a van and equip. for 4K in a car trader. not like lawncare there is not enough lawn care competition to compete with. i figure i can at least make my money back and them some.
  9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna do interior house painting this winter, I figure I can probley sell it to some of my lawn customer because I've had a couple peolpe ask before. Dosn't cost to much for equipment, a couple rollers, brushes, pans ect... I have done plenty off painting before so why not. Oh yah I'm also going to do exterior christmas decorating too, hang lights and stuff.
  10. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of the good advice. I am desperate to find something that is desired not only in summer. I dont like the idea of being trapped all winter. Oh well i guess ill have to do drywall work again. I dread it.