1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Off road diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonp, May 17, 2001.

1. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

How many out there use it, I heard it was alot cheaper with out the road tax. But someone told me that it was bad for the injectors and that it was not as clean as the regular stuff at the pump. Anyone know anything about this and how true it is?
  2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Off Road Diesel is used by Trucking firms all over the U.S. Requirements may vary for each state.

When you see a Tractor Trailer going down the road with a reefer unit, most likely the reefer is using off road diesel, this comes from the same tank as the regular diesel fuel, just pump thru a different pump, with out all the road taxes.

Most times the color is different for off road diesel vs. road tax diesel. This was done in order to detect by visual inspection if off road fuel is used to fuel an on road engine. Thus cheating the govt, state etc out of the road use tax.

You may have to register with the state in order to use off road diesel, As I recall in Kansas years ago, I just signed a statement, but I was leased to a national company.

Hope this answered you question, if not let me know, I will contact the company that I was leased to when I was an Owner Operator with specific questions for you.

Sorry for the long post.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If you intend to run it in a mower then great. If your thinking about using it in your vehicle cause it's cheaper then think again. I ran through a road block a few weeks ago and the revenuers were there pulling samples from your tank to see if it was off road or regular pump fuel. One guy was caught cheating and got fined and had to pay the taxes on a whole tank of fuel. I wouldn't attempt to run it in my truck. The off road has a red dye in it, real easy to detect if they decide to check you.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Homer. The off road (no tax) fuel has red die in it. The off road fuel around here is also higher in sulfer. I am going to get a fuel tank for the truck to haul diesel for my Chopper. The only place I can get it around here is a place that sells fuel to farmers and I have to buy at least 50 gallons at a time or they won't even pump it and I have to go to them to get it. I would need a 200 gallon tank to have it delivered, but I don't have a place to store a big tank. :(

JasonP, what are you going to run this in? I didn't know you had a diesel mower.
  5. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I use off road disel in my tractor, it has a 65 gallon tnak and I think we are paying 1.35 a gallon. As far as how clean it is its just like the other disel the reason they put that die in there is so D.O.T can check to see who is running it in there tanks. It is a huge fine if you get caught running off raod diesel in your truck that you drive on the raod. I would have to say it is worth running it if you want to save money

6. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Eric the new Kubota Zd21. I dont have a truck to run it in so I dont have to worry about getting caught with it in the truck. I guess its ok to use it, because that was the color of my fuel filter when I bought the zd21 was red. I know it would save money over a period of time. I called about it the other day and its 1.04 a gallon here. Thanks for info guys, Jason Patterson
  7. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've been using off road diesel fuel in my Dixie Chopper diesel since last year. It's the same fuel that they truck to the farmers for their tractors, etc. I paid $1.07/gal. plus sales tax on April 4. Last Friday I paid $1.27/gal. plus sales tax. That equals $1.35/gal.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have an off road tank for our tractor,its the wya to go for equipment,no sense paying any road use tax on a lawn mower.Just dont get caught using it in your truck-fines can reach $10,000 and instant audit,with records researched,and seized,so they can determine how long you have been using it,then fine,and backcharge you accordingly.Unless your burning a lot of fuel the risk is not worth it,and if your burning that much-your tanks will be stuck sooner or later.
  9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Due to ground water conditions here we use regluar road fuel and apply for the tax credit.
  10. i was just talkin with one guy today. i asked him about this stuff as a matter of fact cause he works for a petroleum company. he said that if you go on a major road and trucks have to pull into a weight station or whatever. they will check your diesel tank. he said that clear is for regular diesel and red dye is off road. if they see the red diesel you are in for a 10,000 dollar fine. however you only have to use that for the tow vehicle. if you are gonna be using a bulldozer, excavator, chipper, etc. you can use offroad. so be just be legal and carry both if you need to.