Off-ROAD DIESEL

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmdm94, Mar 24, 2009.

1. rmdm94

rmdm94 LawnSite Member
    from 34240

Today I saw other Lawn Care company putting off-road diesel in their truck. He saw me looking at him funny and simply said his truck runs better with the red diesel. He then asked me if I do it and I said " No, Its illegal" He than quickly finishes and leaves. Would you turn him in? Ive never seen His rig before and have no clue who he is other than the name on His rig.

2. robct

robct LawnSite Member
    from ct

No it's not your job to turn him in, he'll get caught himself if the DOT stops him

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Agree.
    It is funny that he said it runs better on the red diesel. Isn't it the same as on-road diesel, but with a red dye.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Karma will get folks like this, I have been checked to many times in the last three years buy the Tennessee Department of Weight & Measures the officers are very patient and were waiting at my truck while were had been mowing the Pipe Line. I role legally:usflag: not worth the $1,000 penalty per gallon here.

Sure you can turn them in; however he will know it's you that did it should he get caught. I only wish Karma worked faster:hammerhead:

Or you could just claim your running used ATF additive package for cost savings:rolleyes:

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Red dye and no highway tax is the only difference, which can be sometimes 50 cents less.

6. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

No, It's not your job to be turning people in. As for running better, in the 80's, off-road fuel had a higher sulfur content and did run a little smoother in the old diesels. Todays Diesel is all the same. There is zero difference in any of it. Todays off-road fuel is simply died red. This dye is extreme, it will stain the internal engine parts, injectors, pumps, etc... If he takes his truck to the shop for repairs, it will only be a matter of time before he gets nailed. However, I don't blame them for running it.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

my friend does that every other day of the year in his ford. He put diesel from his shop in his 5.7 hemi when it was almost empty and made it home a few times.

8. nosparkplugs

Man surly someone will jump in, and argue that ULSD & Off-road diesel are NOT the same fuels:rolleyes:. I love those folks whom think Sulfur is a lubricant.

The process that removes Sulfur in ULSD also removes some of the natural lubricating properties of ULSD. :cry:

I just add about 1 quart of 2-stoke TC-W3 outboard engine lube, per 40 gallons of diesel, for added insurance. The extra "black" smoke works great on the tail gaters or "ricers":laugh:

9. nosparkplugs

Dude I want to call total BS on that story:clapping::laugh:

10. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Im no expert, but we purchase 1,500 Gallons of On-Road and 2,500 Gallons of Off-Road every week on average. We've had the same supplier for more than 10 years and we have had this conversation with them many times. They claim all of the fuel is exact, no difference. They sort out there supply, and add the dye. No tax on Red, Tax on the Green. Maybe you know best, but I'm just telling you what we have been told from several fuel suppliers, and our most recent of 8 years.